1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Rooting & Rom Advice

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by capelli, Oct 28, 2011.

1. capelli

capelli Newbie
    None

Oct 28, 2011
    Hi, I have been on these forums for over a year now (sure I was registered before) as I rooted and changed roms on the Orange San Francisco, but I need some advice from you experts on the S2.

Ok I have rooted and unlocked my S2, all went pretty smoothly I think but now I am a little confused.

The part that confuse me is the process for putting a custom rom on, what procedure should I follow?
    Can I just download any rom to my sd card and then boot in to CWM and select it, or am I missing something. This is how I did it on the San Fran.

Also which ROM would you recommend, I am not planning on changing it regularly so would like one that is good on battery, also very stable, I presume that will also get rid of all the bloatware from the network provider.

Any help woulde be appreciated.

Advertisement

2. Arch Dandy

Arch Dandy Member
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    Yep, you can do it that way. If you're going onto a new ROM it's recommended you do a full wipe / cache / dalvik first.

As for ROMS, i'm currently on CheckROM Revolution which is good, I had poor battery with VillainROM but the official MIUI was released today which I might try.

Slug and capelli like this.
  3. capelli

capelli Newbie
    None

Oct 28, 2011
    Thanks.
    Yes I should of mentioned doing the wipe etc.

Thanks I will check out those ROMS.

Can you assist me with a Kernal question, when I rooted I flash to Kernal KE2. Am I able to flash to any Kernal? and what are the pros and cons if I do?

If I choose a rom do I need to flash a specific Kernal first? Or is it included or does it have no relevance?

4. Arch Dandy

Arch Dandy Member
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    Yep you should be able to flash any Kernel with any ROM. When you flash a new ROM it'll usually contain its own kernel either stock or custom so you wouldn't need to flash another one but you can if you want, it'll depend on your own tastes.

Have a look at the XDA forums there are a few different kernels that do different things usually in terms of performance for over/under clocking, responsivness or improving battery life. Currently I'm using the SiyahKernel which seems to be good for battery.

capelli likes this.
  5. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    AD covered it nicely. The only thing I'll add is to read the kernel release notes carefully in case of incompatibilities with particular ROMs. It's not common but can occur, especially with AOSP ROMs which require specific support. Siyah is a safe choice as it supports both Samsung and AOSP ROMs.

capelli likes this.
  6. capelli

capelli Newbie
    None

Oct 28, 2011
    Thanks again.

So if I choose a ROM and install it does that automatically flash the kernal for me or do I need to that as a seperate action before I install the ROM?

It does all sound quite similair to what I was doing with the San Fran but i don't recall all this Kernal stuff.

Also I need to get rid of the yellow triangle but I have seen a guide for that and looks quite straight forward.

7. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Android Expert
    None

Jun 24, 2011
    Security
    Southampton UK
    I installed Ninpehtamine with Villain 3.0 which reinstated the yellow triangle. The ninphetamine kernal just wiped the samgsung one. When i reinstall the samsung stock kernal it removed root. Meh i can live with it . Ninphetamine 2.1.3 is quite impressive too.

8. capelli

capelli Newbie
    None

Oct 28, 2011
    I have tried Villian 3.0 it all seems a bit bland to me but then again thats what I wanted but I noticed there was a problem with the 3x4 keyboard, it seems stuck on numbers only so is unusable.

As for Kernels I am now on the recommended Siyah but I have lost CWM, do they not include this?

9. capelli

capelli Newbie
    None

Oct 28, 2011
    Wow CheckRom Revolution ROM is definately impressive.
    Not sure on battery life right now but the ROM is great.