• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

rooting rom question

lay6

Mar 27, 2010
Yesterday, I made a mistake by posting this in the genera htc hero forum and NOT the sprint forum. Sorry.

My question is that I am looking to root the phone to expand to the wifi tether. I would also like to overclock the phone for some improved performance.

However I use the sprint nav app daily and it works better than my car GPS so I don't want to change that.

Is there a way to have the best of both worlds? If so what is the best way to go about doing so?

Thank you.

follow the rooting directions, I just copied and pasted the commands into my cmd prompt. It took a matter of minutes to root the phone. Next choose your rom, I am still on the fence about the new 2.1 roms and am still using fresh 1.1 and the gumbo kernel. Once you get your custom rom on your phone, use fresh kitchen to add sprint navigation and any other sprint programs back to your phone.
There are download links for all necessary software in the all things root section.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I've had no issues at all, but beware installing other mods, I've had issues with stereo bluetooth failing, but once you get your phone the way you want it, make a nandroid backup and you'll always be able to go back in case something doesn't work right. Just follow the instructions you'll be really happy. I love the wireless tether, especially if I'm out somewhere that doesn't have wifi and need to connect my laptop.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones