1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rooting, Syracuse Auburn NY area

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by titanman2000, Feb 8, 2011.

1. titanman2000

titanman2000 Newbie

Is there anyone in the Auburn, Syracuse Auburn, Ny area that would root my phone for me and show me some tricks? My first smartphone and Android. I would like to learn how to run it and keep it running well.

Also, I think you can switch this phone over to Pageplus instead of Metro pcs or Cricket. I am thinking about doing it, they are supposed to use Veizon towers and such.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BlastGT1

BlastGT1 Android Enthusiast

3. Treydude

Treydude Well-Known Member

It really is easy..This is my first phone that did not require a 20 dollar "top up" card and I was able to do it, first try. Just make sure you read it thoroughly BEFORE you try it then just follow the steps.

4. BlastGT1

Same here, first smartphone I've ever had. As stated, do read the instructions first, but once you have the app downloaded to your phone, you literally need only to run it, click a couple times, and reboot.

5. mcapozzi

mcapozzi Android Enthusiast

Just be careful about which provider you switch to, I made that mistake with Sprint. It is true that Sprint can use Verizon towers, but you only get 3G from a Sprint tower, if you roam to a Verizon tower you get a 1x connection which is pretty much useless for any sort of serious data usage (Pandora, YouTube, etc).

I work in Auburn but I own a Droid X and I'm not familiar with the rooting procedure for a Huawei Ascend.

-Mike

6. titanman2000

titanman2000 Newbie

I am a little apprehensive about doing this myself. But I would like to speed the phone up and get rid of all the junk on it that bloats it. If anyone can do it around here I will pay them for it.
    Thanx

7. mcapozzi

Just follow the instructions and hop on the forums if you get stuck, someone will most likely jump on and help you out.

-Mike

8. mcapozzi

OMG, the instructions couldn't be simpler, turn on USB debugging and Unknown installation sources, install the Z4 root application, click permanent root.

The worst possible outcome would be that it didn't work. You can't brick a phone by attempting to root it. Usually you can only brick it AFTER you've rooted it.

-Mike

9. titanman2000

titanman2000 Newbie

It says to back everything up, I am not sure I understand how that is done with the phone

10. mcapozzi

Once you've done step 9 you'll be rooted, then you install Titanium Backup from the Android market so you can backup all your apps.

-Mike

11. titanman2000

titanman2000 Newbie

Where do you go to download z4root?

12. mcapozzi

There is a link to it in the post.

-Mike

13. titanman2000

titanman2000 Newbie

obviously I am an idiot, I cant even figure out how to download the root app, cant find it in the market. Can find it on the page of the link but keeps asking for a password

14. titanman2000

titanman2000 Newbie

I cannot figure out how to get zroot

15. BlastGT1

Here are 2 links you should be able to download from without needing to have a login. I can't verify that they work right now because the net filter here at work blocks file download sites.

z4root 1.3.0 (1).apk

z4root 1 3 0 apk

Hopefully this gets you one step closer.

16. titanman2000

titanman2000 Newbie

Thanx Blast !!!!! Finally a link that would let me download it !!!! Now that I have it rooted, do I neet to uncheck the debug or just let it checked?
    Thanx

17. BlastGT1

I personally have left USB Debugging checked, haven't noticed any problems.

18. titanman2000

titanman2000 Newbie

Now that I have rooted the phone, I cant get on the Market. It says a network error has occured. What did I do wrong? I havent deleted anything, not that I know of unless the root program did it. I am on Metro PCS. Also I am having trouble downloading with the internet browser too.

19. BlastGT1

MetroPCS network issues, apparently widespread, according to other threads. I'm assuming your issues has cleared up by now, since everyone else is saying the same thing.