• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting Telus HTC hERO

I rooted mine, and I don't really miss 1.5.

There are a few issues with some ROMS but they are coming along, and with the official 2.1 update coming closer (eventually lol) then I would rather wait for a rooted, custom 2.1 than the official. Having too much fun with the rom modding to go back. :D

For the guide, I would use Just2exy's guide I believe it was.. Got me through it first shot.

Upvote 0
It's an update to the Villain Over-The-Air updater, which you can use to download patches/updates without using the PC. Just download the update and flash it via the recovery (no wiping necessary this time of course).

Then you can use the VillainROM updater app to flash stuff like the update that removes the awful bubbles round app icons. :)

SlideVillain is the best IMO too.

Upvote 0
Hang on, where are you up to at the moment? I thought you already had slidevillain on, but it sounds like you haven't got the custom recovery image on yet, right?

You type the path in of the new recovery.img, so that shouldn't affect backing up the old one. It sounds like you have one of the patched official firmwares, which don't allow the use of flashrec. In that case you have to downgrade to an older official firmware before you can put a new recovery image on.

EDIT: In bold

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones