• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting the Droid without rsd lite up to and including FRG83D

For some reason I am still seeing a $ when it should be a #. I am working with a droid 1 and windows 7 on my mac under parallels, but I dont think that should matter bc I have already connected and done the beginning steps. I am currently restarting my phone a couple times as many people have said that helps somehow?

Upvote 0
For some reason I am still seeing a $ when it should be a #. I am working with a droid 1 and windows 7 on my mac under parallels, but I dont think that should matter bc I have already connected and done the beginning steps. I am currently restarting my phone a couple times as many people have said that helps somehow?

are you letting it run completely after step 11? It needs to completely return to the command prompt and not just the $. I have seen some say it takes 5 miutes or more. For me it never took more than a minute at most though.

Upvote 0
Okay I see Superuser Permissions on the phone :) Looking in good shape!

Worried though:
Wheenver I tried to make a back-up of the phone I was returned to the M and hadn't moved from there. The phone is back on but I'm not to sure what would cause it to stick as opposed to going in and making a back-up?

On top of that we installed Rom Manager Premium and it says "Application is not installed..?"

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I used these steps to root my droid and they worked great.
Then, I used Rom Manager to install Bugless Beast and I lost root.
So I re-ran these steps and I got root back.
Then, I used Rom Manager to install Smoked Glass and I lost root again.
I've re-run these steps multiple times and I can't get root back.
I'm not sure what to do. Is there something in Smoked Glass that is screwing up my root? I don't get any errors when running the steps, but when I type su at on the terminal emulator, or run the SuperUser app, I get a force close message.

Has anyone else seen this?

Upvote 0
I used these steps to root my droid and they worked great.
Then, I used Rom Manager to install Bugless Beast and I lost root.
So I re-ran these steps and I got root back.
Then, I used Rom Manager to install Smoked Glass and I lost root again.
I've re-run these steps multiple times and I can't get root back.
I'm not sure what to do. Is there something in Smoked Glass that is screwing up my root? I don't get any errors when running the steps, but when I type su at on the terminal emulator, or run the SuperUser app, I get a force close message.

Has anyone else seen this?

just flash this update.zip in recovery

It should fix any problems you are having with superuser force closing

Upvote 0
Hmm, I downloaded the linked update.zip, installed it, then tried again, still no luck.

When I type "su" in the terminal emulator, after about a 10 second pause, I get a "Permission Denied" message.

If you open the superuser app does it still fc? If not when you open it click on terminal emulator then forget. After that it should work

Upvote 0
ok, so I followed this guide, all good
I have ROM Manager and made a backup with rom manager flash clockworkmod recovery
found a ROM I want to try and have that on my SD Card
when I use ROM manager to install, it gives the option to choose 'backup existing ROM' and 'wipe data and cache'

selecting backup existing would not really be needed since I don't have any other ROM's yet? and what exactly does wipe data and cache mean and do? what's the benefit and what's the risk?

Upvote 0
ok, so I followed this guide, all good
I have ROM Manager and made a backup with rom manager flash clockworkmod recovery
found a ROM I want to try and have that on my SD Card
when I use ROM manager to install, it gives the option to choose 'backup existing ROM' and 'wipe data and cache'

selecting backup existing would not really be needed since I don't have any other ROM's yet? and what exactly does wipe data and cache mean and do? what's the benefit and what's the risk?

I just used this thread and it seems everything works, be a little patient, it'll save your nerves. :p

http://androidforums.com/droid-roms/118513-how-install-custom-rom.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones