• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting the Droid without rsd lite up to and including FRG83D

I have redone all of the steps and got an error about the file not found when moving the .p file which I expected. here is the output from the entire process.

C:\tools>adb push c:\droidroot\rageagainstthecage-a
rm5.bin /data/local/tmp
338 KB/s (0 bytes in 5392.000s)

C:\tools>adb shell
$ cd /data/local/tmp
cd /data/local/tmp
$ chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
$ ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
[*] CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743C

[*] checking NPROC limit ...
[+] RLIMIT_NPROC={1803, 1803}
[*] Searching for adb ...
[+] Found adb as PID 3942
[*] Spawning children. Dont type anything and wait for reset!
[*]
[*] If you like what we are doing you can send us PayPal money to
[*] 7-4-3-C@web.de so we can compensate time, effort and HW costs.
[*] If you are a company and feel like you profit from our work,
[*] we also accept donations > 1000 USD!
[*]
[*] adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
$
C:\tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
0403682802008009 device

# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
# exit
exit

C:\tools>adb push c:\droidroot\Superuser.apk /syste
m/app
895 KB/s (0 bytes in 196521.000s)

C:\tools>adb push c:\droidroot\su /system/bin
838 KB/s (0 bytes in 26264.000s)

C:\tools>adb push c:\droidroot\busybox /system/bin
1921 KB/s (0 bytes in 1926944.000s)

# chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
# chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
# mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.disabled
mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.disabled
failed on '/system/recovery-from-boot.p' - No such file or directory
# mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
# rm /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
rm /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
# exit
exit

C:\tools>

Reactions: DucksDroid
Upvote 0
Ok not sure what changed but apparently the third time is the charm. Ran it all again and this time after reboot fired up drocap2 and as soon as i shook it to snap a screen it popped the super user permission dialog.

Edit:

I also have noticed my super user icon changed from a Ninja Icon to Andy and cross bones. In case anyone else comes across this and has the same setup as me, a former easy root user.

Upvote 0
Anyone know if these same steps work on the latest OTA update? I have yet to accept it.... Kinda waiting for these steps to be updated...

As of right now, this method is only GUARANTEED to work on builds up to and including FRG22D. However, I have not heard if anyone has tried this on FRG83D and therefore I cannot say if it will work or not.

I'm sure we will know sooner or later.

For the current time, try this: [APP]SuperOneClick v1.5.5 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers as it has been tested and works.

Kratos

Upvote 0
Well, I had FRG22D. rooted using this method,which kicks a@@. Couldn't update to FRG83D over the air (got some kind of error (state or source i don't recall which) 7.. wiped, was still rooted. got a froyo 2.2 update.zip, put it on sd, wiped, updated from .zip .... got the OTA update, then spent all night last night (till 4 am) doing the steps over and over again just to make sure. a note, cd'ing (the cd\ [enter] then [cd\ C:\....] didn't work consistantly on either computer i've been using (both Win XP, the one tonight with a fresh hard drive wipe a week ago) and so far tonight (1 am) trying to get this to work again. it all looks right. it reacts the same way, just no superuser and no root. i redid the droidroot and AndroidSDK folders numerous times to eliminate that doubt. I have
tried the 07 and 08 versions of AndroidSDK (saw a note about tools being missing in 08 on 'theunlokr's page. i am baffled.
I am fairly new to all of this, just bought my droid a month 1/2 ago, rooted on day one using these instructions!!! thanks for the info and any ideas
on my current situation. also, if anyone knows how i can update my update.zip file using what i got on my phone right now, please let me know. thanks

EDIT: okay, so i just figured it out. in the section of pushing files to the droid: 16.) adb push c:\droidroot\Superuser.apk /system/app
17.) adb push c:\droidroot\su /system/bin
18.) adb push c:\droidroot\busybox /system/bin
the space before the / is imperative. apparrently doing this 20-30 times or so (literally) i didn't catch that one... yea!!!! back to my root

Upvote 0
I followed the instructions and successfully rooted. Now I need to create a Nandroid backup. (Back button no longer works on my droid 1).

Can anyone point me to a guide for setting up SPRecovery + Nandroid? I have not been able to find anything that includes both processes. Most of what I have found is about Nandroid saying to boot into SPRecovery and choose NAND Backup...

..help?

thanks.

Upvote 0
I followed the instructions and successfully rooted. Now I need to create a Nandroid backup. (Back button no longer works on my droid 1).

Can anyone point me to a guide for setting up SPRecovery + Nandroid? I have not been able to find anything that includes both processes. Most of what I have found is about Nandroid saying to boot into SPRecovery and choose NAND Backup...

..help?

thanks.

Just go to the market and get ROM manager. Once ROM manager is installed on your phone open it up and click flash ClockworkMod recovery. Then go to backup current ROM. This will automatically boot you into recovery and create a nandroid backup.

Upvote 0
This works for rooting all the stock builds released for droid so far....up to FRG83D

I started a new thread about this because its a very different method than the one use in this thread and I didnt want the methods to be confused. This method is safer imo as it does not require flashing sbf files.

This method was originally used to root the Droid2

First off All credit goes to Sebastian Krahmer at C skills. Please see fit to donate via Paypal to 7-4-3-C@web.de

Credit for the tutorial goes to karnovaran at xda. You can find his original thread here. I have changed the directions a little to make them slightly easier and suited for the Droid1.

Whats needed
ADB for instructions on setting up adb see this video by unlockr
Current Motorola Drivers
Rageagainstthecage

1.) Enable usb debugging if you dont already have it enabled
Go to settings on your phone
then applications
then development
check the box for usb debugging
2.) Extract rageagainstthecage.zip to c:\droidroot
3.) Connect your phone to the computer via usb cable
4.) on the computer open the command prompt. (In the start menu under accessories)
5.) cd to your adb tools directory. For most the command would look like this cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
6.) adb devices (This should list a device as a long number under list of devices. If it doesnt something is wrong.)
7.) adb push c:\droidroot\rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp
8.) adb shell
9.) cd /data/local/tmp
10.) chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
11.) ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin (This can take a minutes just let it go until you are returned to your adb tools folder)
12.) adb devices
13.) adb shell (you should now see a # instead of a $)
14.) mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
15.) exit
16.) adb push c:\droidroot\Superuser.apk /system/app
17.) adb push c:\droidroot\su /system/bin
18.) adb push c:\droidroot\busybox /system/bin
19.) adb shell
20.) chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
21.) chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
22.) mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.disabled Note if you are on a build earlier than froyo this step will fail. That is fine and expected.
23.) mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
24.) rm /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
25.) exit

I would suggest rebooting your phone but its not required.

A great and simply way to root....
Awesome way to root the droid 1 phone.... however, it does not work after the phone updates.... I used this to root my droid with froyo 2.2, and then I had to re-root after the FROYO 2.2.1 update, and it works lika a champ!!!
HEF

Upvote 0
@Papadroid - Thanks...that's exactly what I needed.

To anyone else...has anyone done a Nandroid Backup...gone to Verizon...gotten a new Droid 1...put the old SD card in the new phone...then performed a Nandroid Recover?

I am hoping this process will work as I plan to do it this afternoon...I just want to make sure I have my bases covered and there aren't any issues with serial numbers of phones or anything like that...

Upvote 0
In case anyone cares or wants to know...

Took Droid 1...rooted, installed ClockWorkMod..peformed a Nandroid backup. Wiped Droid 1 and took it back to the store. Got a working Droid replacement, rooted it, installed ClockWorkMod and restored the aforementioned backup. Within 20 minutes, my new Droid is back to having everything the broken one had and I am a happy camper.

Upvote 0
i am having issues with these instructions. to start off instead of typing rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin i have to type rageagainstthecage-arm5.zip in order for it to work. 2nd issue im having is step 7
it says
2832 KB/s (o bytes in 1223661.000s)
that doesnt seem right but anyways i continue following the steps
when i get to step 11 and type in
./rageagainstthecage-arm5.zip
earlier it was saying syntax error, now its just saying permission denied. either way its not working for me. ive read that people are saying either step 7 or 9 were done wrong. step 7 does seem to be entered incorrectly... any suggestions?
thank you

Upvote 0
i am having issues with these instructions. to start off instead of typing rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin i have to type rageagainstthecage-arm5.zip in order for it to work. 2nd issue im having is step 7
it says
2832 KB/s (o bytes in 1223661.000s)
that doesnt seem right but anyways i continue following the steps
when i get to step 11 and type in
./rageagainstthecage-arm5.zip
earlier it was saying syntax error, now its just saying permission denied. either way its not working for me. ive read that people are saying either step 7 or 9 were done wrong. step 7 does seem to be entered incorrectly... any suggestions?
thank you

I think that what your problem is, is that you did not extract the .zip. You MUST extract the .zip in order to have access to the .bin file.

Kratos

Reactions: Landau93
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones