1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooting the Inspire 4g

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nickc2103, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Nickc2103

Nickc2103 Guest
    None
    I'm on the fence on whether I should root my Inspire. What are some of the pro's/con's of rooting, does it give that much of a performance boost to the phone, can I un-root it if I need to send it to at&t. Also what's the best way to get the best rom of sense 3.0, and is there a one click program or a really easy way to root the phone. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

2. ultradroid

ultradroid So many android phones...
    None

Apr 24, 2010
    Title Insurance Underwriter
    Cleveland, Ohio - the North Coast!
    Think of rooting your phone as gaining access as an administrator to your PC. There is no advantage that a "user" has over an "administrator" on a PC - anything the user can do the administrator can do more. With a rooted phone, you gain complete access to all the files and can set things up *exactly* the way you want them to be. You become the administrator.

As for what's the best rom of Sense 3.0, that's a highly subjective area - a matter of personal opinion. Go here - Inspire 4G Android Development - xda-developers - and pay close attention to [ROM][Jun 20] Virtuous Unity 1.25.0 Sense 3.0 based on Pyramid and [ ROM ][ 18 JUNE ] Honeysense HD v6.0 EXT4|Honeyogen HD V1.0|HoneyMIUI V1.0|Honeycomb both are variations of Sense 3.0, and I've tried both on my phone. They're both good roms.

Hope that helps.-Mike

3. thoffland

thoffland Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Network Administrator
    Arizona
    I used attn1's hack kit, and it's very easy but I never did try Bubby's method. Just be prepared to do plenty of reading as you'll probably need to tweak your phone a little. I adjusted my APN settings, flash a few radios and ROMs and had to find a GPS fix. It's all there, you just need to read a lot.

Benefits for me were getting SetCPU so I could underclock/overclock my phone to help save battery life. I went from 7:30am yesterday to midnight last night with 15% remaining... that's a record for my phone and my settings weren't that conservative. The ROMs have different features too, but as UltraDroid mentioned, it's a matter of preference. I went through a few already, and still want to try LeeDroid and a couple others.

There's probably a ton of other benefits that I haven't discovered yet, but I'd say if you like to tinker... then do it.