• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting the new OTA 1.6 Update?

Lets be civil here..

Flashing the rooted "beta" 1.6 kernel obviously has its benefits, but microhaxo is right - you will lose out on any stability and efficiency gains from the release version. Whether or not this effects you is another matter. To do things right, though, we still need to get the official 1.6 kernel image rooted.

I've been trying some things in the little spare time I have. So far nothing revolutionary. The old root methods like try3/asroot2 have been patched out and hijacking startup processes will not work as something is dropping or preventing the SID permission bit from being set during start up. I'm still waiting to hear from BH_MAN about this. He offered and I responded but I think my PM got lost in the spam he must get every day.

I guess I'm going to have to make a thread titled "LOOKATME BH_MAN!" to get his attention ;)

Reactions: DynamitePress
Upvote 0
No I haven't flashed back to take five or I wouldn't have the android market that has the T-Mobile tap instead of the downloads tab, and a2sd doesn't work where it would on take5 or BH_MAN's factory 1.6. So while you are basically doing nothing to help anyone out here and are just trying to act smarter than people I have root no bloatware and my BH2 works the same as it did with the updated kernel. How about you were you able to remove any bloatware yet. I never said I rooted this kernel I simply said I was able to get root. So unless you have any solutions to people's problems keep your useless comments to your self.

How were Microhaxo's comments useless? He knows what he's talking about and he was right.

Reactions: deathclutch
Upvote 0
How were Microhaxo's comments useless? He knows what he's talking about and he was right.

Regardless, lets all stop bickering. no need for any of us to attack anyone, and no need to respond to something we don't like. he had an idea, and if it's not what you're looking for, Nu11u5 is still looking into what we're waiting for. no need to pick him apart for it.

Upvote 0
Lets be civil here..

Flashing the rooted "beta" 1.6 kernel obviously has its benefits, but microhaxo is right - you will lose out on any stability and efficiency gains from the release version. Whether or not this effects you is another matter. To do things right, though, we still need to get the official 1.6 kernel image rooted.

I've been trying some things in the little spare time I have. So far nothing revolutionary. The old root methods like try3/asroot2 have been patched out and hijacking startup processes will not work as something is dropping or preventing the SID permission bit from being set during start up. I'm still waiting to hear from BH_MAN about this. He offered and I responded but I think my PM got lost in the spam he must get every day.

I guess I'm going to have to make a thread titled "LOOKATME BH_MAN!" to get his attention ;)

The best way to get a hold of him is via Twitter under his newer name

BH_MAN / Eugene373 (Eugene_373) on Twitter

Upvote 0
He nu11 have you looked at the vibrants new root method(at xda) ? Arnt we using the same kernel now that were on 1.6 (2.6.29)?

Sent using tapatalk

Just checked it out. The hack (its not a proper kernel modification, but they have one of those too) does not work on the BH2. Since they had to modify it to get it to even work on another Galaxy S variant I'm not all that surprised. If I can find the source code for it I'll see if its portable.

Upvote 0
Great to hear Nu11u5. Oh sorry for getting pissed off the other day on here. I just get so tired of people getting on here and basically telling me or others they are an idiot while at the same time they don't have suggestions or input the help reach a solution to the problem at hand. I've been using BH_MAN's rooted kernel for a few days now and it's definitely not like flashing back to take 5. I've had zero stability issues, everything works how it should, battery life has been pretty good, and the overall speed of my BH2 is pretty comparable to any of the modified roms out there. I haven't been able to get a2sd after trying some different files and adb commands. Since I'm no programmers I really need for for the amount of apps I use which means I really needed root. Using BH_MAN's 1.6 kernel allowed me to remove a lot of bloatware and especially device management that, at least on my phone, replaced the 40mb every restart regardless of me deleting it. Now I have all my apps installed and around 50mb for more left to spare.

Upvote 0
@ Nu11u5: Will I have to push busybox and superuser.apk onto my phone after I flash the rooted image, or will you already have that part handled?

Running into some problems. The permissions allowing root are not taking effect after the second boot. Something is actively denying these permissions from taking effect, possibly a feature of the file system itself.

Working on this with as much time as I can spare.

Upvote 0
Sweet!!!!!! Froyo!!!!!!

No, still just Donut :rolleyes:

Testing is completed with great success!!! I'm going to do some extra tweaks before I release it later tonight.

You will just need to flash a kernel image with Odin to have root user access via su and ADB, and RW access to /system. I will also optionally include the latest Superuser Whitelist .apk that can be installed by copying it to the SD card and running the installer, or pushed to the phone via ADB.

Your user files will remain untouched.

As for busybox I was going to recommend using the installer available on the market, however, that version seems to not be compatible at the moment. I may include it in the kernel image if there is room for it.

The downside of how I am including su and maybe busybox is that you cannot remove or upgrade them without reflashing the kernel. RAM also will take a hit by a few KB. It is however less steps to install and pretty easy to do once you get used to Odin.

Thanks everyone for sticking with me on this little project. I had to learn everything as I went along and didn't have a lot of time to do so in. I actually came this close to throwing in the towel but I then realized one singular mistake I was making the whole time and now everything works! I'll make sure to share all this information with you before it gets lost.

Upvote 0
Great. So this will just be the rooted kernel image that can be applied to an already upgraded 1.6 phone and nothing else.

Do you also have the original kernel image so we can undo rooting if something doesn't work properly? I got the official upgrade to 1.6 - I would like to be able to restore my phone to that exact point if necessary.

Thanks for all your hard work on this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones