• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root rooting tool, a 'one click' program!

kboya

Android Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2010
Hull, UK
edit: 09/11/10 this guide requires updating. apologies. I will try and get to it, but all those with better knowledge than I can cutnpaste anything they like to make a newer and more comprehensive thread (lfcFan1977 has a great glossary of terms to add--nice touch, very groovy). BTW, BIG (and I mean HUGE) props to the guys n gals who have contributed loads to this thread (you know who you are)--you have all done more than I in helping; good on y'all!

[HOWTO] Root Your HTC Desire in One Click! | Root My Droid

Edit: 07/09/10 the latest version of this tool has been pulled for testing. An earlier version still exists but may not work. Proceed with caution.
Edit: 04/08/10, WARNING; it seems that a new bootloader, 0.83, is currently incompatible with this tool (thanks STANNY). If anyone finds different, then let us know. If you try it with a bootloader above 0.80, proceed with caution.

it seems that rooting just got easier!:D

this guide has links to the downloads, apparently the windows bug has been fixed. Will test and report asap:rolleyes: UPDATE: the windows bug is fixed (16/07/10)

UPDATE: WORKS on my XPpro32, Dan the Danes MacOS, DesirableHTC's vista32, Novice01274s Win7, and Lawliet89 & Anonimouse on Win7 x64 . That about covers it:cool:

UPDATE 17/07/10: compiled guide. Huge thanks to Max Marroni (from above) and the unrEvoked team (without whom this would not be possible: unrevoked ) , I have only added clarifications and compiled the two aspects, based on my experience of using it successfully (and unsuccessfully!!). Comments and updates welcome.

UPDATE 22/07/10: DEsirableHTC reports using this method WITHOUT a goldcard on his Orange branded phone, and Wingnutta now confirms this on an o2 handset. If you use this guide/method (successfully or unsuccessfully), please leave details of your:

computer OS
bootloader (e.g. 0.75, 0.80)
original software number (e.g. 1.21.405.1)
original radio/baseband (e.g. 32.42.0032U_5.9.00.08)
branded or unbranded (e.g. Orange)
simlocked or open
already created goldcard? yes/no
chosen ROM.zip (defrost2.1)
chosen radio.zip (32.42.0032U_5.9.00.08);

GUIDE:

How I did it:
Backup everything on your phone (contacts to gmail account, sms backup,copy entire sdcard to pc, astro app backup whatever you need to do, there are many guides to help with this and apps in the market)
Read everything a couple of times and make sure you are clear on each step, this is a mix of the unrEVOked team and ROOTMYDESIRE guides with my experiences of using it successfully (after several aborted attempts) on XPpro. I assume you know how to open windows device manager and update drivers etc. but if you are unsure check the ‘hboot driver’ web doc (below) for indicative screenshots
You must have already installed HTCsync before starting (I know, I know, we uninstall it soon, but you need the driver it installs alongside--thanks to Tunga for pointing this out).
Select and download the ROM.zip you wish to flash to and the Radio.zip (if necessary), and save them on pc (do not unzip)
Download this: unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.1 to pc
Unzip it to its own folder (or in root directory as you choose)
In this folder, open the browser icon ‘hboot driver’ (keep this open for screen shots of next steps) and download the unrEVOked modified USB driver then unzip to its own folder
Turn off phone and reboot into ‘Hboot’ menu (by holding vol.down and pressing power)
Connect the phone to your pc with a USB cable and wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB PLUG on screen.
Open your pc device manager, and look for ‘other devices’>>android 1.0
Right click, select ‘update driver software’>> ‘browse my computer’, and add the folder location of the ‘Android USB Driver’, select ‘next’ (this should show the files being moved in whatever animation scheme you have), click OK to any warnings, wait for update complete and close window.
Check in device manager for Android Bootloader Interface
Disconnect phone from usb and turn off
Uninstall HTCsync (i didnt first time round, merely disabled it, and the 'push' process didnt work), but not 'HTC driver installer' (it doesnt happen automatically, you would have to uninstall it separately)
Reboot pc

Start phone in normal usage mode, then in settings> applications> development, enable usb debugging and stay awake when charging.
Settings> connect to pc, enable disk drive as default connection type and untick ‘ask me’
connect phone and pc by USB
Transfer the preferred rom.zip and the radio.zip (if necessary) to sd card (sd already fully backed up to pc). Do not unzip them.
Disconnect USB
Run the ‘unrevoked’ reflash icon on pc, connect phone by usb, watch it do its thing (it should say ‘pushing file’ (or suchlike) in the reflash window; phone restarts more than once, pc beeps and makes sarcastic comments about windows, takes about 2 minutes. If it fails to do so, disconnect the phone, close the program, check you have done everything correctly, then retry.)

Phone display should now be clockworkmod recovery (green text on black background)
You are now rooted

Without changing screens (still clockwork mod, in green text)
Scroll down to and select nandroid using trackball and backup, let it do its thing
Back out of nandroid

Select 'install zip from sdcard'> 'choose zip from sdcard'> [radionumber].zip> yes/install (should take a few seconds)
Select 'install zip from sdcard'> 'choose zip from sdcard'>[rom].zip>yes/install (should take a couple of minutes)
Boot up and you should have your new rom all ready to go

----
If it does not boot first time, if it starts to but then loops on a splashscreen/startup message, don’t panic; drop out the battery, reboot holding vol down while pressing power, wait til it reads card, select recovery using vol up/down and power to select (should take you back into the green text) then select wipe/factory reset, wait, then reboot and it should fire that time. If not, try rebooting again, and try to identify any mistakes you may have made.;) We all make 'em.
Hope this helps--is a bit longwinded :eek: but, it is easier to explain exactly what I did for a successful outcome and to clarify some stages. I do not know if it is entirely necessary to apply the radio.zip first, but it seems to be good practice; if not necessary, it certainly does no harm!!
-------------------------------
UPDATE 19/07/10: regarding apps2sd (and thanks to Lekky and a vast number of wise posters as I trawled [not trolled;)] through the threads). Remember, I am running the OpenDesire Official 2.2 with Sense ROM (link in a post below) and may have different experiences from your own ROM.
Download/install Clockwork ROM Manager and Titanium Backup from market
Open TitaniumBackup and download BusyBox on request--select 'Problems?' if it doesnt request automatically (it will not let you do much if you dont).
From top bar, select Backup/Restore> menu> Batch> Backup all user apps & system data, and watch it do its thing
Using usb connection (as diskdrive) copy your entire sdcard to pc (to save time get rid of music/pics etc you already have on the pc), safely disconnect usb
Open ROMmanager, it will likely tell you it needs clockworkmod recovery, which you already have, but allow it to install it anyways. I did this thru selecting 'FlashClockworkMod Recovery'. Now select 'PartitionSDCard'> Ext Size> 512mb>Swap>0 and let it do its thing... it will reboot, but may take a couple of minutes
Connect usb as diskdrive, copy the previous contents back onto sd, remount sd
Open Titanium backup> backup/restore> menu> batch>restore missing apps & all system data> run, and let it do its thing, but you may have to install certain ones by request (once installed do not 'open', select 'done' and it moves on)
Open ROM Manager> Fix Permissions, let it do its thing (I had a number of FCs til I did this)
Restart phone and you should have all your apps, data etc and loads of free space on Internal Memory (after all my app restores the internal went from 128Mb to 126Mb)
Jobs a good 'un, cool and groovy!
--------
As before, there are probably easier ways to do this, but this worked for me. Any comments, clarifications, top tips, welcome and will be added.

Finally, all thanks to those who went before:D Legends, the lot of them!

WOW, if this works for me, you will be god-like in my opinion!!! lol

Thank you

so this defo works on HTC desire?

it defo worked on mine, make sure you follow ALL the steps and you should be fine... I had problems where I disabled HTCsync rather than uninstalling it, once I had it ran like (and into) clockwork (mod). Just take your time, check you have done it all; and, if something goes wrong, dont panic, go back a few steps and restart from there

Reactions: DesirableHTC
Upvote 0
once rooted, it is rooted; once you get to the recovery screen (clockworkmod, green script) you are rooted and can then install roms from zip files on your sdcard without a pc, as you walk down the street!!). make sure you nandroid backup 1st, though.
Thanks mate, my last Q. what is the best/most stable ROM to install? dont you have to be a premium member to download pauls from MoDaCo?

Cheers

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
yes, and yes, and update the radio before the ROM (I believe this is good practice, but may not be absolutely necessary).

The ROM didnt boot first time for me, and hung on the splash screen. I dropped battery, went back into recovery and performed a wipe/factory reset, and it started up perfectly, although it took a minute or so.

Upvote 0
yo, no bother. reboot phone (top of recovery). now apply the rom and radio from pc using as diskdrive, then turn off phone and reboot holding vol.down while pressing power, wait a sec, select recovery using vol up/down and power to select, you should be back in clockworkmodrecovery, then continue with the guide

Upvote 0
The unlocking websites are usually reliable. I unlocked an Orange hero with one. The issue was a fault in their branded Rom, failed to unlock. Once rooted with modaco Rom, unlocked fine.

If you run modaco 3.1 Rom in desire, it has a radio in the same thread that should work fine with Orange. Don't use with other Roms though.

Install Rom manager from the market once rooted. Easy interface to flash new roms

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones