1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

rooting troubles (su segfault)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ayr0, Dec 29, 2013.

1. ayr0

ayr0 Lurker
    None

Dec 29, 2013
    Hi,

I've been trying to root my Galaxy S2 T989 (android 4.1.2) for several hours now. I'm new to this and may not understand all the intricacies of rooting. I followed the steps in this guide http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-t-mobile-all-things-root/627099-guide-root-rom-sgh-t989.html.

The rooting process failed (as Titanium Backup complained that it couldn't gain root access). I checked everything and realized that I had forgotten to set USB debugging in the Developer options. I checked the USB debugging, and repeated the entire process (using TWRP Touch Recovery). There were no errors reported in TWRP (everything ran smoothly). Titanium Backup still complains about no root access. I looked at my filesystem and /system/bin/su and /system/xbin/su exist, but executing /system/bin/su (in an android terminal emulator) results in a segfault. I reinstalled superuser+busybox several more times and several more reboots, but with no change.

Code (Text):
    2. </system/xbin> $ ls -l /system/bin
    3. lrwxrwxrwx root root           2013-12-29 20:02 su -> /system/xbin/su
    4. </system/xbin> $ ls -l su
    5. -rwsr-sr-x root root 352256 2013-12-29 20:02 su
    6. </system/xbin> $ whoami
    7. whoami: unknown uid 10219
    8. </system/xbin> $ ./su
    9. Segmentation fault
    I've tried googling for ideas, but my search has been fruitless so far. Is there anyway to fix the situation and finish rooting?

Thank you very much.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    You could use adb. Root. rm (delete) both copies of su. Get a good copy of su (Root de la Vega is one file that I know has one). Push it to /system/bin and /system/xbin.

3. Mister_Mayhem

Mister_Mayhem Newbie
    None

Dec 14, 2013
    Run the free app root check. This will tell you if you have a root problem or a titanium backup problem. Do you have a custom ROM installed?