• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROOTING, UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER QUESTION

DonJones

Lurker
Jan 19, 2017
If I unlock my bootloader and/or root my phone, I will lose the ability to use Android Pay. Will this only hold true for in store Contactless Payments? Or, will I also not be able to use Android Pay on my phone for something like Uber, or in App purchases?

Welcome to AF, @DonJones :).

Well, Google/Android has indeed tightened-down the security and increased breadth and depth of things they check for to see that the device has not been modified (locked bootloader checks, dm-verity integrity, presence of typical root-related apps, etc.), so it's a long-term losing battle, IMO.

Rooting/modding your device will indeed typically trip/change the above and potentially cause things like Android Pay to recognize those changes and fail to work.

Chainfire admitted that even his suhide utility is an uphill battle with Google to hide root from being seen by apps.

Your best bet would be to view/search for other folk's experience with root / hiding root / Android Pay to see if they're currently successful in having that work--basically, your mileage may/will vary--there's no hard and fast rule answer for you, I'm afraid.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones