1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooting Virgin..help!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jizzyjizim, Oct 27, 2011.

1. jizzyjizim

jizzyjizim Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Hi all, I have been reading alot about rooting on here, I am pretty confused by all this :)..anyway, I have a Desire with 2.2 on it and it's thru Telus, can this be rooted?..if so, can someone point me in the right direction as to where I start..do I have to install drivers first?..I saw a few Youtube video's...will this make the phone much faster?..sorry for all the questions, so new to this...love the phone though..doubt we will get the Gingerbread update seeing as I live in NA.:(

Advertisement

tamareansun likes this.
  2. cashmere_cat

cashmere_cat Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    Western Canada
    I have a Desire on Telus, and rooted it fine.

You should read the guides and faq's on here in great detail (http://androidforums.com/desire-all...all-about-rooting-updated-21-july-2011-a.html)
    There is a ton of information so you may need to read it through a few times. It can be overwhelming, but if you take it one small step at a time, its less intimidating.
    And if you run into questions along the way, the members here are wonderful at answering questions!!

Its also recommended that you chose ONE guide and follow it, and not try and mix & match instructions/information/videos from different sources.

Depending on the ROM you chose after you are rooted, can make the phone faster. At least thats my experience. And the big advantage is getting lots more room for apps (if you chose a rom that supports a2sd or similar)

jizzyjizim likes this.
  3. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Ha ha at the title.

Xunny and tamareansun like this.
  4. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Android Expert
    None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    you need to read a bible you dirty btard

5. jizzyjizim

jizzyjizim Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    thanks for the info, I will look into this alot more and see how it turns out, I will post my results!:p

6. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    Leeds, UK
    Only reason I'm in this thread is coz the title made me chuckle.
    Everyone needs help at some point ;-)

7. jizzyjizim

jizzyjizim Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Hey Folks, just letting you know I am all rooted now...a little easier than I thought it was gonna be, thanks to the poster who gave me some advice on the right steps :)...now I have to choose a ROM I guess...I'm not looking for anything to fancy, something that will give me more internal memory and make the phone a quicker...is there a basic ROM that covers atleast those 2 things?...also, I have been reading about these ROMS and after doing back-ups (which I did, with Nandroid and Titanium) it says I have to install the ROM to my SD Card, so, I have to leave my phone hooked up thru USB too my comp and install the ROM to my SD Card that way?...sorry, these are probably really stupid questions, but like I said, I'm a Virgin when it comes to this stuff, any help would be greatly appreciated!:)

8. Paul8944

Paul8944 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    Quantity Surveyor
    Southampton
    There are lots of Roms available to choose from especially on the XDA developers site. My personnel favorite at the mo is redux 2. Very quick, stable, can move all apps to SD card and the dalvik cache if needed.
    The best way to flash is download the rom to PC check md5 to make sure it downloaded correctly and the transfer to your SD card. You can then unplug your phone from PC. Boot phone into recovery and flash zip from SD card.

jizzyjizim likes this.
  9. jizzyjizim

jizzyjizim Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2010

Ok, I took your advice on the Redux 2 ROM, read about it, looks like it's pretty much what I am looking for, I downloaded it, do I need to unzip it before I move it to my SD card on my phone or does that happen automatically when I am in recovery mode?...also, should I make a folder on my SD card called ROM's?...cause I just "moved" the file to my removable disk under My Computer after downloading it...or will the phone just look for it when I am flashing it?...this is intense, lol...I've jailbroken my Ipod Touch, that was a piece of cake compared to this, :)...thanks all!!!

10. shauny13

shauny13 Android Expert

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Beautiful Dorset
    Dont unzip it. Put it on your sd card. Boot into recovery and select install zip from card.

jizzyjizim likes this.
  11. jizzyjizim

jizzyjizim Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    well, I did everything but it seems to be stuck at the "htc" screen (White background one when ya boot)...I read that it can take up to 10 minutes the first time, if it doesn't boot up with the new ROM, do I remove the battery and try again, do I "wipe" again?...

12. jizzyjizim

jizzyjizim Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Hey Folks, well, it's done:)..I am officially running Redux 2 now, my problem was I didn't wipe it before I flashed the ROM, so I took out the battery, re-booted in recovery, then did a wipe and for some stupid reason, I re-booted instead of unzipping the ROM from my SD card, but it booted into Redux 2 anyway...is that alright?...should I go back and do it from the start in order? (wipe first then unzip...instead of the other way around)...

13. Paul8944

Paul8944 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    Quantity Surveyor
    Southampton
    Personally I would go back and wipe. Then unzip. You know you have a clean install then.
    Also when changing between Rome don't forget to do a nand and titanium backups in case of problems and yo be able to restore your apps

jizzyjizim likes this.
  14. jizzyjizim

jizzyjizim Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    ya, I thought it would be better to do the same thing, so I did:)...up and running now, so, it's best to always do a wipe when installing a new ROM?...I used Nandroid and Titanium before I installed the ROM, can't find any of my contacts though..my music is still there and pictures...any ideas?...thanks again!:)

15. shauny13

shauny13 Android Expert

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Beautiful Dorset
    Sync with Google for contacts.

jizzyjizim likes this.
  16. Rastaman-FB

None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    bingo, if you didnt sync it before do the following

boot to recovery, take another nandroid backup
    restore old backup
    sync your contacts with google
    restore the new nandroid backup
    sync

jizzyjizim likes this.
  17. jizzyjizim

jizzyjizim Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Thanks, good tip, I'll try it that way!....I tried another ROM (Cool3D, as it was a Sense ROM and I just wanted to see the difference between Sense and AOSP)...anyway, I downloaded it, moved it to my SD Card, went into recovery mode, did a wipe and then install zip from SD Card, well it seemed to go through alright, but when it re-booted, I was stuck at the boot screen (HTC quietly brilliant) and it would just boot that screen, go black, then boot it again, I finally had to a restore of my original ROM (the one that came with the phone)...everything works fine, but has anyone had this problem with a ROM or that ROM before?...did I do anything wrong?...what is the best Sense ROM out there for better internal storage and speed?...or should I just stick with Redux 2?...phew...thanks everyone for all this help, I swear I'll get it soon:)

18. tamareansun

tamareansun Lurker
    None

Oct 30, 2011
    I am very interested in getting the Evo 3d and would like to have it rooted and I am very new to this.Can I get some guidance to doing this.Also I am most interested in USB and WIFI tethering my I get some info to what roms can help me out.I am looking to get the EVO 3d in a few weeks I am using the TP2 to tether right now.

19. Rastaman-FB

None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    youll need to look in a different area. desire root methods are for desire only

20. Rastaman-FB

None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    it probably requires an ext partition and possibly a different hboot size
    did you read the requirements on cool3d's xda page?

jizzyjizim likes this.
  21. jizzyjizim

jizzyjizim Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    ya, that was exactly what I did wrong, my own fault, :(...this is what it says for requirements:

Requirement:
    CM7 Hboot 130MB System, 5MB Cache, 302MB Data. Download
    CM7 r2 Hboot 145MB System, 5MB Cache, 287MB Data.
    DATA++ Hboot 180MB System, 5MB Cache, 252MB Data.
    STOCK Hboot 250MB System, 40MB Cache, 147MB Data.

EXT4 Partition For A2SD, No Swap New Scripe
    Align Your EXT4 Partition With...THIS
    Also Alignment_Cool.zip Convert Your Ext3 Partition To Ext4

Latest Radio & RIL

that is all greek to me, lol...maybe I should just stick with an easier ROM that installs without all this other stuff, I figured that after installing Redux 2 quite easily, this would also do the same, but I guess not, ha...anyway, thanks for the info!

22. Rastaman-FB

None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    so which one did you download?

23. jizzyjizim

jizzyjizim Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    haven't decided yet, recommend any that you can just download to your SD card and install??...looking for more internal memory and quickness...

24. Rastaman-FB

None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    well i wqas more asking which on of the above did you download from cool3d's link
    what was the name of the zip file.

alot of roms now requite an ext partition and in most cases its good to have one due to a2sd+ support. i would recommend reading the a2sd faq

25. jizzyjizim

jizzyjizim Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    oh, it was Cool Sensation I believe, and I will take your advice to read up on that as well, thanks again!:)

Tags: