1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooting your evo and instaling new rom

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mendyl, Aug 29, 2011.

1. mendyl

mendyl Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2011
    When I install a new rom, do all my apps and personal data like contacts and gmail/facebook accounts get deleted?
    and if yes, whats the best way how to back them up?

Advertisement

2. lubberlick

lubberlick Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    American English Speaking Taxi Guy
    Indianapolis
    Yes when you install a new rom, you will lose all your settings. Think of it as getting a brand new computer and having to transfer everything over.

There are a ton of ways to backup and restore your settings/apps. Personally I am a purist and will not transfer any apps from one rom to another. I will use the built in contact list import/export option to transfer contacts and SMS Backup to transfer my SMS. Apps/Accounts I reconfigure and redownload from the market. I find transfering apps sometimes causes stability issues in a new rom, even if you don't restore data.

3. iMethod

iMethod Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Titanium backup works great gives you completr option on what you want to backup/restorr so you never waste space or restore unused programs etc.

Also remember when flashing a new rom wipe to factory default is recommended its not always needed and as long as you dont wipe data all your data will be saved when flashing roms.

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    sorry but i kind of disagree about not wiping data when flashing a new rom. you should always wipe data. data usually will contain bits and pieces of the previous rom. so if you want a clean install you need to wipe data, dalvik cache and cache. if you do those three and also flash the superwipe then your new rom is gonna have a good clean install. for me i wipe 3x then flash superwipe then flash rom.

5. iMethod

iMethod Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    Houston, Texas

I've done a full wipe but left data intact and flashed a new rom and was okay, on several occasions also, maybe im just lucky but then again i always go thru my phones internal and external through linux after every flash to remove certain things and do misc things i like to do.

Tags: