• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting Your EVO

rickmort

Lurker
Jun 18, 2010
I am going to root the phone this weekend (UnrEVOked), but was uncertain about a coupld of things. I read through the documentation and did not see anything there regarding my ???'s.

1. Will rooting reset my phone? Will I have to reload everything?
2. Do I back up first then root or root then backup?
3. Will Froyo resolve some battery life issues (the main reason I am doing this).
4. When Froyo is released I will not be able to install the "typical" way since I am rooted correct?

Thanks in advance from this Android Newbie.

1. Will rooting reset my phone? Will I have to reload everything?
2. Do I back up first then root or root then backup?
3. Will Froyo resolve some battery life issues (the main reason I am doing this).
4. When Froyo is released I will not be able to install the "typical" way since I am rooted correct?

1. Not using the unrevoked method, but you will not be able to flash roms using the unrevoked method.

2. Best rule of thumb is to always backup before doing anything, including rooting. Once the root is done, you will have another opportunity to make a nandroid backup, I suggest you take that opportunity.

3. The FroYo roms for the evo are not really ready for public consumption, but there are a wealth of other roms that address battery issues... Start out with Fresh, Bugless, or Damageless.

4. Most likely, yes. But you most likely won't want to. ;) (you will lose root if you apply froyo the typical way... However, by the time froyo comes out, there will be a $h!tT0n of froyo roms out for the evo already).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones