1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Route from Google Maps where wifi unavailable

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by pwabrahams, Sep 5, 2016.

1. pwabrahams

pwabrahams Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 19, 2014
    I want to walk (or perhaps drive) from Point A to Point B, using Google Maps to set up the route. I have wifi available as I am setting the route up, but not while I am actually traversing the route. Is there a way to use Google Maps while I am walking? If I make a mistake while walking, can I still get back onto the path?

Advertisement

2. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    Mobile data connects to the Internet the same way. It's how most GPS units find location.

Mikestony likes this.
  3. pwabrahams

None

Dec 19, 2014
    I know that the GPS function can pick up my current location. The problem I have is getting the actual route -- where to turn next, etc. I need more than just the location -- I need the location in the context of the route.

4. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    It will show you turn by turn on your screen whether or not you are on wifi or on data. It will also show you the route, even if you take a wrong turn by walking, driving.

Mikestony likes this.
  5. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    If you need turn-by-turn directions, then when in Google Maps and you start you navigation, click on the time at the bottom:
    Capture+_2016-09-05-16-48-35.png

and it will take you to turn-by-turn:
    Capture+_2016-09-05-16-48-47.png

Dannydet likes this.
  6. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    I always use Google voice and just say "directions to" my destination

7. pwabrahams

None

Dec 19, 2014
    I guess I find it surprising that Google Maps would have that functionality purely within the phone, even when no wifi is available. The one time I tried it it didn't work, but maybe I was doing something wrong. I'm not surprised it can find my current location, but plotting a route would seem to require information only available on the Net.

8. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    Does your phone plan have data / internet?

Mikestony likes this.
  9. pwabrahams

None

Dec 19, 2014
    Yes it does, but if I'm not in the range of any hotspots, the data plan doesn't do me much good. Or am I missing something?

There's no necessary correlation between the availability of phone service and the availability of internet service. In some places I have one, in some places I have both, and in some places I have neither. Is there a way to get internet access if I only have phone service at my location?

10. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    Phone service is just that, phone calls, texts.... Internet is data. If you turn off wifi altogether, can you bring up websites on your browser from home, car, away from home? If not, then you have no data services on your phone plan.

javamann and Mikestony like this.
  11. pwabrahams

None

Dec 19, 2014
    How does that work if I don't have wifi access? I know that the phone can report my location or even show me where I am 0n a preplanned route, but without wifi I don't see how it can get me back on course. To do that it would need a regional map at least, I'd think, and such a map would be difficult to store on the phone.

12. Mikestony

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    It won't work without wifi or internet access.
    However, and I have not tried this, there may be an option to download the route for offline viewing.

Edit: apparently there is:)

Capture+_2016-09-05-19-30-21.png

#12 Mikestony, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Dannydet likes this.
  13. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    OK. Turn off your wifi. Wifi is an internet connection that connects to your home PC, a library, a public place that offers wifi. Please turn that off now... Now open a browser, such as Google, Internet explorer, Firefox on your phone. Does the website load? If not, you have no data plan which means you only have internet by using Wi-Fi. Google maps loads everything by internet, but that will only happen by wifi OR data, if you have a data plan. So, if you are out of wifi range and you use Google maps, nothing will load.

javamann and Mikestony like this.
  14. pwabrahams

None

Dec 19, 2014
    Aha! I see where my problem was -- I was in Hungary when I tried to use Google Maps for navigation. I could do that as long as I was in range of a hotspot, but of course my phone service -- and therefore my data service -- doesn't work over there (unless I buy an international SIM card, I suppose).

So I guess my original question still makes sense: if I have neither phone nor internet, but I've already laid out a route in Google Maps, how can I use my phone (which of course knows where I am) to follow it?

Mikestony likes this.
  15. Mikestony

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    See my edit above....there was an option to download the route for spotty service.
    So, maybe that will help?

Dannydet likes this.
  16. pwabrahams

None

Dec 19, 2014
    Very likely it will. I suppose it depends on how the "spotty reception" option is implemented. If I set up the route before I start and the phone remembers it, then perhaps the current location can be checked against the route. That's what I would hope, anyway.

My experience was that I tried this twice, once in an urban area (Budapest) and once in a small town. In Budapest I had wifi reception when I started walking and the phone was able to keep track of my position as I walked. However, I don't know what hotspots I might have passed on the way. In the small town, I had set up the route before I arrived there, but the phone was useless. I kept wondering that if I had done this a different way, I might have had some success. Maybe it depends on whether I have reception when I start walking.

17. JimSmith94

JimSmith94 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 5, 2010
    Irving, TX USA
    I didn't see this mentioned, but the newest Google Maps offers to download offline data in case the connection is lost while traveling. I used this last weekend when I drove to a remote area and it was rock solid.

svim and Dannydet like this.
  18. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
  19. tommo47

tommo47 Android Expert

Feb 5, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Llangollen, North Wales.
    Google Maps off-line turn by turn navigation is for driving only, it says quite specifically that it is not available for walking, cycling or public transport, and even the driving capability is reduced in that there is no traffic information and no alternative routes provided - for full fuctionality you must have on-line access either via your mobile data connection or wifi and in a navigation scenario that effectively means mobile data connection.

For off-line use the appropriate map area must be downloaded beforehand preferably by wifi. One advantage of Google Maps over other navigation apps is that you can zoom in to city/town plus surrounding area with a storage requirement of less than 100mb, (you mentioned Budapest, as a matter of interest I downloaded Budapest area, which took less than 50mb. I have North Wales area downloaded which takes just over 100mb.

Google Maps is now my preferred driving nav app, primarily because of the excellent search capability, but for walking I use either Magic Earth or OsmAnd+, both are fully functioning navigation apps for driving and walking and include most national trails and paths as well as full urban walking directions. They both provide full off-line navigation using downloaded maps.

I would certainly recommend you have a look at Magic Earth, it is a free app and all map downloads are free. I find the UI is excellent and very easy to use. It uses Osm maps which are updated on a regular basis. I guess it all depends on what storage space you have (Google Maps, Magic Earth and OsmAnd+ allow storage to an SD card).

Something I haven't tried with Google Maps, but I don't see why it wouldn't work is to set a route for navigation by car and then use it for walking. In an urban situation it must surely take you from A to B, but not necessarily in the shortest time/distance - eg. the proper walking navigation will take you the wrong way up a 'one-way' street or take you through a pedestrian only area.

:)

#19 tommo47, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    svim likes this.
  20. badcatz

badcatz Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Male
  21. pwabrahams

None

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks so much, tommo47 and badcatz. I wish I had been clearer in the first place about what I really needed. At least one of these apps should do just what I want.

22. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    investigate CoPilot USA

terrific mapping app, configurable to any form of transportation, and ALL of the maps are downloaded to the SD card preferably, as they are huge!!! Once the maps are downloaded, it does not even ask for a data channel.... not needed ever again.

if no SD card, then only download the smallest region that applies for your route.

I have the pro version, which gives turn by turn, set it to Pedestrian and it is great there too.

a bonus is that no other apps has as many local attractions listed as this app does.
    I find it to be my "go to" map when setting on a bench at the rest areas while motorcycling thru the states.

I use my Garmin 2797 for highway travel though... bigger screen, and direct to my helmet audio. Plus power by wire for always on.