• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RSS Feed Change?

I just checked the Phandroid rss feed in my Taptu android app and the Taptu web interface and both seem to be loading full article text for each article.

That's irrelevant to the concern at hand. Taptu isn't showing you the text from the RSS feed, then. It's using the RSS feed as a link to show you the full web page.

If you go to the actual RSS feed URL Android Phone Fans and view source you will see that the text excerpts are all cut off with [...]. Whereas the feed for, say, MobileSyrup has full text right in the feed itself.

Many RSS readers rely on the text in the feed as a low-bandwidth version to display first to the user. It's a waste of bandwidth to have to load the full content just to read more than a short paragraph.

Upvote 0
This isn't going to change back, to my knowledge. I will mention that I'm still seeing complaints, because I am, and ask him to weigh whatever benefits he was hoping to gain against them - and see if we get lucky.

We have another chat in a couple days.

Thanks for following up on this. Sometimes, the articles don't have a whole single sentence, which isn't even a good summary to try and drive traffic to follow through to the website.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones