• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps RSSI - Application to read signal strength of 3G, GSM, Wifi

ganyeowjin

Lurker
Mar 17, 2009
Hi all,

I'm developing an application to read signal strength of 3G, GSM, Wifi.

Is there any classes that provides us with the RSSI of 3G signal and GSM signal?

The WifiManager Class provides the RSSI for wifi, but I can't find any for 3G and GSM. If there is no classes provided, is it difficult to start from scratch? Can anyone point me a direction?

Thanks.

Hi all,

I'm developing an application to read signal strength of 3G, GSM, Wifi.

Is there any classes that provides us with the RSSI of 3G signal and GSM signal?

The WifiManager Class provides the RSSI for wifi, but I can't find any for 3G and GSM. If there is no classes provided, is it difficult to start from scratch? Can anyone point me a direction?

Thanks.

There is an app call "Cell Finder" it gives you all kinds of info on the network cell tower you are currently connected to...

Network operator,
MCC / MNC
CELL ID
CELL LAC
SIGNAL STRENGTH
DIRECTION (bearing)
DISTANCE

this in a satellite view ... and will update as you move from cell to cell

You could contact the dev of this app ... and probably get alot of insight

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying. Do you know where can I find the 'cell finder' application? I will google it out but if you have a specific address than it will help a lot :)

"CellFinder" is in the App Market ... open market app and then immediately do a search on the word 'cell' you will then get a listing

Keep us posted to you progress

Upvote 0
Hi all,
I am very new in android world. I will have to measure RSSI using bluetooth.
I am in stack :( ... I can't understand how to start and in which way I should go.
can you please give me a complete hints. like an algorithm.
and how can I get RSSI values? is that read from any file or select randomly etc etc. I need almost all info to get start.
any one please help me !
thanx ! :)

Upvote 0
I am an entrepreneur at the telecom test & measurement solutions market. I am looking for a developer partner to investigate together a possible solution for mobile operators. I need exactly the type of measurements you indicated above and some additional capabilities. Please let me know if you are interested.
Best regards,
Kfir

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones