1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Rubbish GPS reception

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by keithscarfe, Jan 13, 2012.

1. keithscarfe

keithscarfe Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    More of a rant really than a question, but I have come to the conclusion that the GPS on my phone is useless. When I first got the phone (feb 11) it seemed to work ok. I could use gps quite happily for navigation apps, but now it is rubbish. I put another thread on here a while ago saying that it could

Advertisement

2. termod

termod Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2012
    I have the same problem. The GPS stared to **** with me after new year or so. Before that(I've had my desire s for ~3months) it worked perfectly, connecting to gps within some seconds. Now a days I'm lucky if I find a gps connection at all, and, when I find it does take like 10min for it to search (have tried this multiple times now).
    Hope someone here can give an answer.
    But we probably have to take our phones to service.

3. umshamrock

umshamrock Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 28, 2009
    plymouth, uk
    I have the same problem too... it worked fine, and now nothing :(

4. keithscarfe

keithscarfe Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    Just thought I would follow this up:

Yipee I have fixed it. It is working great now. . . . . for the moment.
    I tried lots of things, rooting the phone so I could modify the gps config file, followed all the suggestions about recalibrating it, installed FasterFix. Nothing. In fact it got so bad that it just wouldnt work at all. My next step was going to be to install a different rom to see if that made it better. I had one already to go, but first it says to perform a full factory reset. so I did this. mmmm I thought, I wonder if that makes the gps work... and sure enough this is what seemed to fix it. It now locks on with in 10 secs and is perfect, just as it was when new. I didn't bother with the rom just carried on with the original one after the reset.
    So I can recommend you do the same - perform a full factory reset.
    Remember you will loose everything you have installed and all your contacts so make sure you back these up first. I then went through reinstalling all my apps and GPS is still working well. Something must have go in there to stop it working but I havent found what it was yet. Fingers crossed it keeps on working.
    HTH.
    Keith.

5. umshamrock

umshamrock Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 28, 2009
    plymouth, uk
  6. keithscarfe

keithscarfe Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    Yep I tried all that on that thread - didnt make any difference for me. Glad it worked for you seems easier than starting from scratch and reinstalling everything. I am happy that mine works well now though.

Tags: