1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rumor: 8/19 - sprint to offer free* GNex extended battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jj14x, Aug 15, 2012.

1. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

I read the article (link below) earlier today - hopefully this turns out to be true!

From the article, "Come this Sunday, Sprint will be giving away official Samsung extended batteries for the Galaxy Nexus

AARONONE likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Demache

Demache Android Expert

Dang, too bad I'm on Verizon.

3. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Android Enthusiast

It would work on the Verizon phone, right? My niece is on Sprint. I wonder if she can get me one. Would they think it's strange that she wants it even though she has an iPhone?? :D

4. This is perfect! I'm 90% happy with my battery but my cell signal at work is poor and drains her quick.

5. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Android Enthusiast

Yep, free extended battery... if you buy a new line of service. :(

6. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

Actually, no. I was able to place my order by calling telesales earlier today. I got the extended battery for my existing Galaxy Nexus (no, I didn't activate a new line).
    Paid tax of a $1.xx (they waived shipping)
    Woot!

7. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Extreme Android User

lot of people getting multiple batteries..

8. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Android Enthusiast

Well I'll be a...

I went online and couldn't see how to get the promotion without ordering a new line of service, but after I read you last post I called and spent an excruciating 45 minutes on the phone with someone in telesales that had never heard of the promotion. It sounded like it was her first day. She had to put me on hold several times to talk to someone else, but I finally got the deal. I had to pay shipping, at $12. I would have tried to get the shipping waived but I was so tired of listening to her read from her script and repeating herself, it wasn't worth my time.

9. bsharitt

bsharitt Lurker

I had basically the same experience. I saw that many people on had been getting shipping waived or reduced, but by the time I got to that point in the call, I was ready to pay the $12 just not to deal with that person anymore. Still $13 or so for an extended battery isn't a bad deal.

10. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

You can try this out to get free shipping (5-9 days)

* Go to Sprint | Everything Plus(SM) Referral Program
    * Enter Russ McGuire's information (russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com / 383 - from his blog)
    * Navigate to accessories and add the battery pack
    * Enter promo code BATTERY1
    * Check out (at this point, it may ask you for zipcode, and if it does, enter it - and then, instead of selecting a phone, navigate to accessories and re-add the battery pack (and enter the promo code BATTERY1)
    * Check out - total should be free, and shipping should be free too. You will need to enter a credit card though (and re-enter Russ McGuire's information too)

Will it get processed or canceled? I don't know. I tried it and got a confirmation Email. Hopefully it will ship. If not, hopefully I will get the one I ordered from telesales yesterday.

11. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

Woohoo! Both of them shipped!

12. johnjust

johnjust Newbie

I just called the telesales line and it came up to ~$15 total - it should be here by Friday. They did say I called just in time, as they're running low on supplies, so you'd be better off doing it now if you haven't already...

13. ChappellHeel

ChappellHeel Newbie

Mine shipped too! UPS says they'll be here tomorrow! Thanks Sprint!

14. johnjust

johnjust Newbie

Only thing I'm not too thrilled about is the fact that this brand new Diztronic case I just bought last week isn't going to fit anymore. I'm certainly not complaining though.

EDIT: I found an Amazon review stating the Diztronic case still fits with the extended battery!

15. TheButcher

TheButcher Newbie

I just got mine from UPS. It has NFC as well. Will have to disable Google Wallet before putting in this new battery to retain my information?

16. jova33

jova33 Android Expert

it's just the antenna in the battery.......

TheButcher likes this.
  17. Kookas

Kookas Well-Known Member

No, the NFC information isn't stored on the battery. All the battery has is the antenna, for making a connection to other NFC chips.

TheButcher likes this.
  18. TheButcher

TheButcher Newbie

Thanks for the answer. I have read about when rooting that you have to disable it beforehand and I just wanted to make sure.

I also realize that rooting and swapping batteries are 2 different things, but it never hurts to ask.
    Thanks again.

19. gregs887

gregs887 Android Enthusiast

Got my battery in 5 days. Would have been 4 but I missed the UPS guy. I think this is the same battery as the Verizon version, just the different battery cover. Works great so far.

20. jova33

jova33 Android Expert

works fine and dandy in my VZW GNex. I paid $8 total :)

21. Chaco

Chaco Well-Known Member

i got mines from sprint too... i got a VZW version, and using the little clippers, i was able to mod the batt door to fit my pphone just fine.
    great deal by sprint!

22. stew_bmore

stew_bmore Lurker

Thanks jj14x. I just ordered mine!

23. Droid916

Droid916 Member

Thanks for this info....I just grabbed one

24. jova33

jova33 Android Expert

Is Sprint losing money on this? Lol

25. ritholtz

ritholtz Newbie

Is this deal still working? My company 3rd party vendor refused to order extended battery for me. I am thinking of ordering one for my self.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews