• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RUMOR: G1 users getting N1 upgrade?

Not sweet at all.

The N1 has no physical keyboard. It is not a worthy successor to the G1.

Give me a 5 row physical qwerty keyboard, or you'll have to pry by G1 from my cold dead fingers.

Learn to type with an onscreen keyboard. Eventually the stupid keyboards will slowly be phased out... onscreen keyboards are really really good these days...I dont have small hands either

Upvote 0
Learn to type with an onscreen keyboard. Eventually the stupid keyboards will slowly be phased out... onscreen keyboards are really really good these days...I dont have small hands either

I do type with the on screen/virtual keyboard. Semi-often (any time I've only got one hand to work with, due to holding groceries or something).

On screen keyboard suck a**. Until we have screens that deform to shape actual key caps, that depress with key presses and give a feel for actual edges of key ranges, they will always suck more than physical keyboards. The only hope for them, as speed alternatives to physical keyboards, is the swype technology.

But even then, the other major drawback for virtual keyboards compared to physical keyboards is: screen real estate. On a pocketable device, there is a MAJOR impact to using a virtual keyboard. 50-100% of the screen becomes obscured by the keyboard, meaning that anything that uses that text input INTERACTIVELY is not usable. Two of my very small number of installed applications are, in fact, based around interactive text input (ConnectBot and VNC). Virtual keyboards are intollerable with those apps.

So, no, I will not "learn to use a virtual keyboard". I will, instead, correctly demand devices that fit my use cases, and stick to the devices that fit my use cases. Ignoring my needs, and modifying my use cases to fit the devices, is the path of sheep. If that's the kind of person I was, I'd have gotten an iPhone the year it came out.

If the G1 dies in "end of life" before it has a worthy successor, I'll just get an N900 (or its successor) at that point.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones