• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rumor is that 3 OTHER AT&T phones will be getting sideloading

AT&T, with it's draconian policies is getting on my nerves.

I just may re-purchase a Canadian Nexus S and be done with it. Tried it but came back to the Atrix. I just hate when a carrier knows what device I'm using and locks it down. I want freedom. I pay a lot of money each month. Let me install the Amazon app store already ATT!

Upvote 0
AT&T, with it's draconian policies is getting on my nerves.

I just may re-purchase a Canadian Nexus S and be done with it. Tried it but came back to the Atrix. I just hate when a carrier knows what device I'm using and locks it down. I want freedom. I pay a lot of money each month. Let me install the Amazon app store already ATT!
If you're in Canada, you can get a Bell Atrix? Sideloading is enable in that model :)

Upvote 0

Well that's all well and stuff, but how does one go about downloading the Amazon app of the day to sideload? I have the Amazon app on my phone from the sideload process, but every day when I click "purchase" on the Amazon app, it will not download the .apk.

Any suggestions on how to side load each daily free app from Amazon? I'm all ears (and no I am not going to google for illegal .apks to load).

Upvote 0
Well that's all well and stuff, but how does one go about downloading the Amazon app of the day to sideload? I have the Amazon app on my phone from the sideload process, but every day when I click "purchase" on the Amazon app, it will not download the .apk.

Any suggestions on how to side load each daily free app from Amazon? I'm all ears (and no I am not going to google for illegal .apks to load).

You will either have to root and then sideload it, or wait till att list our phones.

Upvote 0

I went through this initially with my wife's phone but she ended up letting me root it. What happens is that once you download the Amazon "free" app or whatever it will fail the install but will be sitting in a folder on the internal SD card. It wont be recognizable by name as it will bee somee random letters.apk. you can then just sideload the apk. I believe the folder is /Android/data/com.amazon.venezio or something like that. Please excuse any typos as I am writing this on my phone.

Upvote 0
Not sure how long my phone has had this option but I now have the side-loading option

1306289775327.jpg

Upvote 0
Are you running a custom rom? There is a settings.db file that when you edit one line (when rooted) brings that box back.

No custom rom... Just stock OS, rooted using gingerbreak. I already had side loading but I was really surprised to see this option? I've had gingerblur installed before but battery life seemed to drain faster so I did wiped data+cache and restored stock image using CWM.

This really isn't a joke. I would be really surprised if im the only one with this option

Upvote 0
No custom rom... Just stock OS, rooted using gingerbreak. I already had side loading but I was really surprised to see this option? I've had gingerblur installed before but battery life seemed to drain faster so I did wiped data+cache and restored stock image using CWM.

This really isn't a joke. I would be really surprised if im the only one with this option

It must be because you rooted your phone. Normal users don't have that option, but come on Motorola!

Upvote 0
I read some articles yesterday saying how they were waiting to release the update for the Atrix once they were prepared to launch some additional maintenance related content with it.

45 mins later I get a notification that there's an update available! Unfortunately it was just for Dropbox. It was saddening, but oh well. Hopefully soon!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones