• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rumoured Nexus Two (N2)

Roze

Hiding behind a mystery
Jan 20, 2010
Where the Sakura grows
This is a response to Rob's post on Phandroid Jan 12th, 2010:
Droid 2 Coming With Better Keyboard [Nexus Two?] | Android Phone Fans

I do not know if there is a thread for this on the Droid's Forum but I found none on the N1's forum. I wanted to add on to Rob's posts with the current gossip on the 'N2'.

I was able to find some gossip on the Nexus Two, which if the rumours bear fruits, will be coming from Motorola this time [code name Motorola Shadow].

The rumoured specifications are as followed:
- 4.3 inch [854 x 480 pixels] WVGA touchscreen display
- HMDI port
- 8MP camera with HD 1080p video recording.
- sliding QWERTY keyboard

motorola-shadow.jpg

The Moto Shadow looks very similar to the Droid except the phone seems thinner and sleeker and the black screen with blood red accent and the white keyboard make this phone the most beautiful looking QWERTY phone I have see yet [care to disagree?]. The phone looks thin and light from the pictures; I hope that it is lighter than the Droid at 165g. It would be great if it weighs the same as the Nokia N97 mini at 138g.

If the Moto Shadow is an enterprise N2 phone, I am hoping that we will get both GSM and CDMA on it. This would mean that every carrier in the world can carry the N2 and therefore changing our buying experiences. We can buy the unlock phone from Google and use it with any carrier we want [assuming your carrier has the N2 frequencies].

I have two issues with what I have seen so far. First is the strap, I cannot imagine why anyone would need such a large strap unless they are quite clumsy.The second is that in the pictures, it does not seem that there are any Call and End Call buttons on the front.

And this is Roze's $0.02, what is yours?

Signing off
-Roze-

Sources:
Endgadget: Motorola Shadow is Nexus Two with sliding QWERTY keyboard? -- Engadget
GSMArena: The rumored Motorola Shadow becomes Google Nexus Two? - GSMArena.com news
Unwiredreview: Google Nexus Two to be the Motorola Shadow? Unwired View

P.S. If you noticed, I made a similar comment on Phandroid XD

I saw this rumor in the DROID forum. There are a couple of obvious problems with that mock-up, photo-chopped photo. One, there's no way that's a 4.3" screen. In fact, it looks like it was lifted completely from the DROID phone and some cheesy carbon fiber was added to it. Two, the keyboard doesn't even make sense because it doesn't address two of the major concerns re: the DROID keyboard: 1) It's still four rows and butts up against the sliding screen, 2) The keys are still flat and featureless (perhaps even more flat than the current DROID's). While d-pad position is better, why d-pad when touch-pad is already available on the Backflip and perhaps on the 4th-gen iPhone? It also looks terribly thin in the way that it looks improbable to house the guts of the phone, including things like a camera. Oh, one other thing: Where's the provision for a microphone? One of the reason for the "chin" on the DROID is to accommodate the slider, microphone and antennae. As much as I don't like the looks of a chin, I don't think we're going to lose that if they want to be a thin slider.

Upvote 0
sooper_droid12, well it is a mock-up/concept phone [that's why it is all just rumour]
But you are saying that this phone is unlikely to make it to the prototype stage due to all the shortfalls you've mentioned. Or if it does, it will be unpractical and won't be that powerful >_<. Well I will continue following this gossip on the Moto Shadow and see if it goes anywhere XD

Signing off
-Roze-

Upvote 0
I think it's a great photochop that's for sure!

4.3" screen obviously means it'll be LCD. I don't know what Motorola wants to do to compete. I would love a 4.3" screen, but there isn't an AMOLED being manufactured in that size to be released in the near future. 1080p recording? Hold your horses! We're just trying to get out of the gate with 720p with the Motorola MOTOROI. And as far as the keyboard, I think Motorola needs to figure out something else, like a mini-chiclet keyboard that's becoming so popular on netbooks. Like I said, it's a nice photochop done during someone's spare time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones