1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Run App from Android Studio

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by mcdroid, Jan 1, 2015.

1. mcdroid

mcdroid Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2015
    Hello,

Following tutorial from https://developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp/creating-project.html
    I built the simple hello world app. After a lot of tweaking, got everything to build, got emulator up and running. The tutorial says that when you run on the emulator, your application should run. However, what I see is that the emulator boots Android on the phone, brings up home page, etc., where I can then "operate" the phone. I can look at installed apps and run them.

However, it doesn't run my app as the tutorial says-actually I was skeptical that it would, there are *many* errors in the tutorial. I have zero experience with Android development but my initial thoughts are that I must somehow get the app on the emulated phone and then execute it like any other app. Could someone give me a few hints as to how to proceed.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. mcdroid

mcdroid Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2015
    So after further research found out the following. If you load the AVD first and then run the app, the app will be downloaded to the device and everything works fine. However, if the AVD isn't loaded and you run the app, the app will not be downloaded to the device. Note, that running the app before the AVD is loaded is a valid option. What is supposed to happen is you are prompted for which AVD you want to load and the it is loaded and the app is then supposed to be downloaded and run. What happens on my setup is the AVD will be loaded but the app just waits forever with the following prompt:

Device connected: emulator-5554
    Device Nexus_6_API_21 [emulator-5554] is online, waiting for processes to start up..