• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Running Applications List and battery life

Just got a Droid 2 and I'm tinkering around. I saw the "Running Apps" list and its pretty useful if I say so myself. However is it necessary to go in there and stop apps that I'm not using all the time to save battery life? Do apps still run after their closed, because Facebook was running after use. And when stopping apps my phone tells me that "this can have undesired consequences on the app" which scared me a bit. I haven't even done my first charge yet, but my battery went down about 40% in about 2 and a half hours.

They are not all running, despite being in the "running apps" tab. They are just cached, not using any battery. And yes, DONT use task killers or try to force close those apps. It messes with the way android works, and uses MORE battery then if you would just leave them alone.

Alright, but it says that each service is using a certain percentage of battery next to it. For instance my display usually takes up around 40%.

Should I also be losing battery power quickly when I download apps? I feel like I'm losing charge really fast.

Upvote 0
Anything you do will use battery, some things more than others.

Seeing the % of battery in the battery manager is showing what has used the most battery since the last time it was unplugged, it doesn't necessarily mean what's using the most at the current time.

When the device boots some apps get started automatically, some respawn when killed others will stay down. For instance when I reboot mine, the State Farm app auto starts as does my Twitter app, I can force close those and they don't come back. However apps like music and BlueAnt1 are always running.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones