• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Running Apps from SD card now Easier!

ravens0ng

Nov 8, 2008
Marcus Maximus from XDA-dev has released a new version of Apps to SD card that will format your drive and correctly create the necessary partitions required to run your apps from your SD card. You still need root for this, but it is so much easier (and faster) now.

App is available in market for .99 or on devs website for free.

Excellent Tutorial by the author here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=512743

Anyone who asks "why root?", this is why, AppstoSD2 ftw.

You still need root for this!

I have not done it myself, as I have no need; but yes, this is possible with a rooted phone. It does not have anything to do with running apps on the sdcard though. You'll need to root your phone first and then use an app to set up the tether. Pretty sure they have stuff about it in the FAQ here.

Upvote 0
i wish some one would just make a youtube video on how to get the app2sd to work some one who could teach us all who dont know how or who are having problems

here are the commands to copy/move your stuff to sd to run apps to sd (rooted users only)

creat an EXT2 partition on your micro sd (not the entire card only a portion of it) in windows use paragon, in linux use gparted
then run these commands
adb devices
adb remount
adb shell
cp -a /data/app /system/sd
cp -a /data/app-private /system/sd
rm -r /data/app
rm -r /data/app-private
ln -s /system/sd/app /data/app
ln -s /system/sd/app-private /data/app-private

Reboot and you have apps to sd.....

Upvote 0
this app soft bricked my phone on the g1 logo, and my sd card was bricked beyond repair, no reader will even recognize i put a card into the reader. anyone know how to fix a bricked sd when nothing even recognizes it?

i have 2 cards like this

BTW : you said "THIS APP" but never named the app that you say bricked your phone
If you mean AppsToSD ... I have run that app from its first appearrance without a problem ...

Do a web search ... I have seen a company that says they can recover almost any SD memory card ... Usual failure is the onboard controller ... they bypass that or replace it to do the recovery ...

Upvote 0
I'm trying to use apptosd2 to put my apps on the SD card. Every time I run it, it wants to partition my SD card. I followed (I think) the authors instructions on the xda site, but nothing seems to work. Can anyone help me? By the way, I do have root access. Thanks in advance.

Copy/Backup all the files and data on the SDCard First !!

Now Format the SDCard as FAT32.

Get a program like PartitonMagic and create a ext3 partition of the SDCard..

Copy your files and data back onto the Fat32 /sdcard ...

Now your Sdcard is prepared to recieve apps2sd ...

If you are using one of Cyanogen's latest Build's then Apps2SD will occur automatically ...

Not all developers' build are capable of apps2SD automatically ... quick the info for your Build ... of the forum where that build was presented. Ask how they are using Apps2SD ..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones