1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Running From Sd

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thunderwagn, Aug 27, 2011.

1. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Member
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Colorado
    I have a Sandisk 16gb c4 card running the latest cm7 nightlies. Unrooted, totally stock basically till I got a feel for things. Cm7 runs pretty stable from sd at first, then once you start customizing, adding apps, and using it as a tablet, it becomes pretty unstable. Basically what I am saying here is that I am no longer satisfied nor impressed with running from sd...:D I think its pretty impressive being able to run stock and then boot into full android experience with a sd card. It really gives one a taste of what this little tablet can do. In my case though its just not enough.
    I think today I am going for a dual boot on emmc. What I am looking for, or at, is Phiremod, and stock. I see all kinds of threads and posts, and this is better than that. I think I just need a good sense of direction on what is the best method here.

Advertisement

2. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    'Better' is a matter of personal preference in this area. It's just what works best for you. I presume one of the ROMs in your dual boot setup is going to be the stock ROM (why else would you dual boot...). From there it's a choice of CM7 or Phiremod (The Honeycomb ROM isn't ready to be a 'daily driver', in my opinion). Phiremod is a themed CM7, so either way you're really running CM7, one just has some different clothes on.
    What I'd suggest you do is set up your dual boot with the stock ROM as the 'alternate'. Then set up either Phiremod or CM7, whichever you want to try (I'm a CM7 guy myself). Play with it for a few days, create a back up then flash the other one (This is why you put the stock ROM as the alternate. It will keep it 'safe' for when you flash a different ROM). Now play with the new ROM for a few days. If you like it, keep it. Otherwise restore your backup and go back to where you were. Then you'll know for sure which one YOU like better, and that's really all that matters.

Nice bug, btw. :)

3. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Member
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Colorado
    Yeah, no Hc for me. I am going stock and Phiremod. Have also contemplated no dual boot and just going with a rom on emmc and a bootable stock sd. Not really sure I need or would use the stock on a dual boot set up to be perfectly honest. The stock rom is pretty rough imo. The Nook android app is actually better than the stock rom lol...

4. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    +1
    ...and won't be for quite some time. Ice Cream Sandwich OTOH, I could go for. :D

+1

I'm done with Phiremod. Although I love the colors I'm not a fan of the large buttons and controls, which at times are unreadable in my use. It's not malicious and some people really like it so the guides will stay. IF he'd use smaller buttons I'd try it again.