• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Running low on memory

Not sure what you mean by root. I installed swedish spring on it when I got it, so I dont think i have any bloatware - at least no software that I dont want. I got the idea you could move software from the internal to the sd card in the manage application settings and did all the ones that would allow it some time ago.

Upvote 0
I think the first thing is to find out what is using your internal storage. The lack of space (and 68kB is critical) may be the cause of some of your other problems.

One thing to know is that not all of an app is moved to SD when you move it (how much depends on the Android version - 2.2 moves less than 2.3), and either way app data will remain on internal. App data includes messages, contacts, facebook stuff. Social networking apps sometimes consume a lot of space.

You may be able to get some space quickly by clearing app caches. If you don't have a cache cleaning app, just use the manage applications menu, all applications, and go through things like browsers, forum apps, social apps, market/play store and select clear cache on each of these.

To see what's using space, in the same "all applications" view change the settings to sort by size (I think 2.2 allowed you to sort by data size, 2.3 only by total size). That should show you what the big space users are.

P.S. For your email can you not delete these from the server using a PC and then re-sync? Or does your email system not work that way?

Upvote 0
How much space is the email app using currently?

It might be worth checking its settings to see if there is anything that might reduce what it downloads. It occurs to me that "clear data" will reset the settings too, so if the problem started after clearing data it may be related to that.

Afraid I don't have the stock email app on my phone, so can't poke around to see what options there are (I only use K9, so remove other email apps from ROMs before flashing).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones