1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Running low on memory

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by TheMaverick53, Apr 11, 2012.

1. TheMaverick53

TheMaverick53 Member

I am constantly geting messages that I am short on memory in my zte blade yet the settings show total memory 29.71 Gb and available space 23.9 Gb - whats going on here?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

There's a difference between the internal storage and the SD card, and the low memory message is when you are short of internal storage, whereas what you report here sounds like the SD card. You should also be able to see the internal storage in the phone's "Storage" settings menu.

3. TheMaverick53

TheMaverick53 Member

Interbnal storage says 68 kb. How do I free some up?

4. gbiggie

gbiggie La patience et le pardon

If you're root then perhaps you could delete some preloaded bloatware. Or use a free app such as Gemini App Manager to move some.of your user installed apps from your internal memory to your external memory.

5. TheMaverick53

TheMaverick53 Member

Not sure what you mean by root. I installed swedish spring on it when I got it, so I dont think i have any bloatware - at least no software that I dont want. I got the idea you could move software from the internal to the sd card in the manage application settings and did all the ones that would allow it some time ago.

6. valorian

valorian Android Expert

You could try App2SD and see if you can more any more apps to the SD card. If you cannot you might be out of luck.

The only other thing I can think of for you to try is your emails. Your emails are stored in internal memory. If you have lots of emails saved try deleting some.

7. TheMaverick53

TheMaverick53 Member

I have the same problem with emails, there are 500 I select all> delete and the app crashes

8. valorian

valorian Android Expert

Yeah, sounds like you emails might be eating up a bunch of your internal memory. Instead of deleting all at once, try one at a time. Start with any emails that have attachments. Those will be using up more memory.

9. Hadron

VIP Member

I think the first thing is to find out what is using your internal storage. The lack of space (and 68kB is critical) may be the cause of some of your other problems.

One thing to know is that not all of an app is moved to SD when you move it (how much depends on the Android version - 2.2 moves less than 2.3), and either way app data will remain on internal. App data includes messages, contacts, facebook stuff. Social networking apps sometimes consume a lot of space.

You may be able to get some space quickly by clearing app caches. If you don't have a cache cleaning app, just use the manage applications menu, all applications, and go through things like browsers, forum apps, social apps, market/play store and select clear cache on each of these.

To see what's using space, in the same "all applications" view change the settings to sort by size (I think 2.2 allowed you to sort by data size, 2.3 only by total size). That should show you what the big space users are.

P.S. For your email can you not delete these from the server using a PC and then re-sync? Or does your email system not work that way?

10. TheMaverick53

TheMaverick53 Member

Just one crashes

11. Hadron

VIP Member

If you are OK with clearing all of your email, then "clear data" for the email app (in the manage applications menu) should see to that. May be a bit drastic though!

12. TheMaverick53

TheMaverick53 Member

All apps but facebook we greyed out on clear cache, but this has put the internal memory from 40 kb to 500 kb

13. TheMaverick53

TheMaverick53 Member

This problem seemed to start after I did clear data from the email a couple of dasys ago.

14. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Extreme Android User

Try this: Settings> applications> Maps> uninstall updates

15. Hadron

VIP Member

How much space is the email app using currently?

It might be worth checking its settings to see if there is anything that might reduce what it downloads. It occurs to me that "clear data" will reset the settings too, so if the problem started after clearing data it may be related to that.

Afraid I don't have the stock email app on my phone, so can't poke around to see what options there are (I only use K9, so remove other email apps from ROMs before flashing).

16. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Android Expert

Download App2sd and clear the cache, probably free up a bunch of space.

17. gbiggie

gbiggie La patience et le pardon