• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Running Services: Memory Info

c_man

May 3, 2010
London, UK
Hi All,

We have a info bar at the bottom of the following menu:

Settings > Applications > Running Services

Avail: XXXMB+X.XXB in XYZ_____________________Other: X.XXB in XYZ

Is anyone able to explain what XXX and XYZ are please?
I am guessing XXX = memory taken up and XYZ = number of processes?

...but it doesn't make sense to say:
Avail: 32MB + 0.00B in 31 processes

What are considered 'good', 'bad' and optimal figures here?

XXX: RAM not in use.

X.XXB: RAM that can either be freed(left) or not(right).

XYZ: Number of essential/unessential processes.

Basically the left side is the amount of available RAM plus that which an be freed(frozen program sessions etc), and the right is the RAM used for essential stuff and running processes.

Good and bad is a bit relative, you should be concerned if a lot of RAM is taken up by running processes if you are not running something which should take a lot of resources.

Although, it seems to me that the numbers are somewhat strage as my phone cannot properly read how much data is used by frozen sessions (usually most of your RAM would be used there, do not worry about that, it does not take up any significant amount of battery and it can be freed instantly the moment you need it for something else).

Reactions: c_man
Upvote 0
Thanks for that.

I too am not 100% trusting of these figures, as Advanced Task Killer tells me how much RAM is available.... and it does not tally up with what Running Services tells me!!

It won't be the same, in one test you have Adv Taskiller in the foreground as opposed to settings in the other. The apps will use a different amount of memory.

I wouldn't get too excited about your available memory, unlike older Android handsets the Desire has plenty processing power.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones