• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ellary Kahan

Sep 30, 2017
About once a day the phone slows down for 30 minutes to an hour. Response time can be several seconds for typed input to a minute for response to button presses.
I'm assuming it may be do to something running in the background that's sucking up CPU cycles but I don't know how to find out what's running. I've tried restarting, but that process appears to be slow too, which may indicate it's not a usage issue unless I'm wrong that a restart clears running app.
And I should mention that the phone warms up during this time.

Is there anything similar to Task Manager in Windows that's part of the OS or a downloadable app?
Is there anything else that could be causing this?

On Android 8 and up to date on security patches.

The Settings >> Battery menu is pretty basic but it's a good way to keep track of what apps/processes are running in the background too, and it's functionality that's already a part of your Android OS. If you want something more elaborate, try installing the Glasswire Data Usage app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glasswire.android&hl=en_US
Note that it's also a multi-function utility so look into the app's Settings menu to disable what you don't want or need.

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones