• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RUU error 170 & 171 solution for Windows 7

For anyone with issues with Windows 7 64 bit try this. Download VZACCESS Manager for Windows 7. After you install the VZAccess software, run the setup and let it detect your DINC, VZACCESS Manager will install the correct drivers for the DINC. I use VZACCESS in my Win 7 64 bit machine and it does install all the drivers for the DINC.

VZAccess Manager
access manager won't even recognize a device, what am I doing wrong??

Upvote 0
I have been trying to runn the RUU on my 64bit windows 7 pc for the last three days, at one point it finally saw my phone, connected and began running the ruu (I was excited) and then about 2 min later it again errored out!! at which point i never was able to get it to connect again!!! I installed HTC Sinc but it made NO Difference, I was so ****ing frustrated!! ...

I downloaded cleaner as yo said, ran a full clean and then a registry clean after uninstalling the HTC Sinc software
I then re-installed HTC Sinc connected my phone to my pc, ran the RUU and (NO LUCK) ..... IT was getting hopeless for me and I was tired of waiting for the OTA update, not just because I wanted it, but my phone was acting quirky and was totally hoping that Froyo solved some minor issues....I almost gave up but I then re-started my PC, connected my phone, turned off wi-fi on my pc, eneabled USB Debugging, started the RUU and (BOOM) ...everything started to work....FINALLY!!! ..... I am now running Froyo :) So thank you very very much... Your the man !!

Reactions: SQurel23
Upvote 0
Followed your instructions EXACTLY, and it worked perfectly on my Win7 computer! I am now reveling in the yogurty goodness of Froyo. I was having the USB connection problems until I found this post, and followed your directions to the tee. Thanks a bunch for posting this.

Ok after trying so many times to update I finally found the solution.

Steps:
1: Install HTC Sync.
1a: If you already tried the update with it and failed, uninstall and install a program called CCleaner (Google it).
1b: When installed run CCleaner and go to registry (the blue box on the left).
1c: Scan for issues and then press Fix selected issues... and fix all of them.
1d: Reboot computer to be sure problems are fixed.
1e: Reinstall HTC Sync.

2: Run HTC Sync if it isn't already running.

3: Turn on Dinc and plug it in, then choose HTC Sync on the connections menu that pops up ( The one that says Charge Only, Disk Drive, HTC Sync, and Mobile Broadband Connect). If Dinc says it can't find HTC Sync that is fine.

4: Run RUU

(This step is, what I think, is the most important.)
5: Turn off internet connection. Ex: disable or disconnect wifi/wired connections.

6: Follow the steps in the RUU.

Well, this is what worked for me, but your results may vary of course.

Upvote 0
I have tried all of the instructions above and I get past the reboot of the device and it sticks at the HTC screen and after a bit I get the 171 error. If I unplug the usb cable it sets at a white screen that says RUU ...... Has anyone figured this out?

It's a driver problem you might have to start over.

Stupid question,

Do I just start HTC Sync and let it sit there or do I have to do something with it? If I just set the phone to sync then start up htc sync, then run the RUU I still get the 170 error. (running it in XP3 Compatibility and as administrator)

Yea just let it sit there, you might have to start over as well.

Upvote 0
I have been trying to runn the RUU on my 64bit windows 7 pc for the last three days, at one point it finally saw my phone, connected and began running the ruu (I was excited) and then about 2 min later it again errored out!! at which point i never was able to get it to connect again!!! I installed HTC Sinc but it made NO Difference, I was so ****ing frustrated!! ...

I downloaded cleaner as yo said, ran a full clean and then a registry clean after uninstalling the HTC Sinc software
I then re-installed HTC Sinc connected my phone to my pc, ran the RUU and (NO LUCK) ..... IT was getting hopeless for me and I was tired of waiting for the OTA update, not just because I wanted it, but my phone was acting quirky and was totally hoping that Froyo solved some minor issues....I almost gave up but I then re-started my PC, connected my phone, turned off wi-fi on my pc, eneabled USB Debugging, started the RUU and (BOOM) ...everything started to work....FINALLY!!! ..... I am now running Froyo :) So thank you very very much... Your the man !!

This method of turning off wi-fi worked perfectly for me! Thanks!

Upvote 0
I am sooo tired of wating for VZ to get off their collective As...., so i am going to the RUU. I see some issues with Win 7 x 64, but i havent found anywhere or anyone who has tried to do the RUU with Win 7 x86 Pro.
I am currently at work and my pc is running Win 7 x86 Pro, anyone here know of any issues?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
I was able to get it to work on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit machine w/o too much hassle. I was originally got the 170 error so I followed the guidelines the OP posted and got HTC Sync, version: 2.0.40. I connected my phone via HTC sync and than ran the RUU file w/ admin privelidges and in XP SP3 mode and it worked like a charm. I don't think it took more than 5 minutes either.

Thanks Vinsanity93!

2.2 is just so much more smooth and fluid :D

Upvote 0
Ok after trying so many times to update I finally found the solution.

Steps:
1: Install HTC Sync.
1a: If you already tried the update with it and failed, uninstall and install a program called CCleaner (Google it).
1b: When installed run CCleaner and go to registry (the blue box on the left).
1c: Scan for issues and then press Fix selected issues... and fix all of them.
1d: Reboot computer to be sure problems are fixed.
1e: Reinstall HTC Sync.

2: Run HTC Sync if it isn't already running.

3: Turn on Dinc and plug it in, then choose HTC Sync on the connections menu that pops up ( The one that says Charge Only, Disk Drive, HTC Sync, and Mobile Broadband Connect). If Dinc says it can't find HTC Sync that is fine.

4: Run RUU

5: Turn off internet connection. Ex: disable or disconnect wifi/wired connections.

6: Follow the steps in the RUU.

Well, this is what worked for me, but your results may vary of course.

This method worked perfectly for me also, I tried all the other ways even on my old xp laptop to no avail, but this was flawless on my windows 7 machine. Thanks man

Upvote 0
I spent 3 days doing this on my win 7 laptop. The same laptop ive been using to root, flash, adbshell.. etc with. nothing was working. I used this guide perfectly and the best i got was getting to silver HTC screen and then losing sync and getting usb error.

I used my wifes laptop, wich is also running win 7 x64. Since ive never hooked my phone to her laptop before it was "virgin" i installed HTC sync, hooked up my phone. Put phone in HTC sync mode (charge only, mount as disk, etc..) phone said that it could not find HTC sync on my PC.. whatever. I ran the RUU , shut off wifi on the laptop, and 5 min later i had froyo on my phone.

My guess is that its some combination of the wrong drivers or some crap. Most of us have been messing around with our phones, installing drivers here and there to get stuff flashed. If you cant get it to work, and you dont mind doing it. resinstall win 7, then install HTC sync, disconnect from the internet, and then run the RUU.

If you cant reinstall windows (or dont want to.. and who would blame you) Try and use a virgin PC. If thats also not an option.... then wait here for a fix. I might try to fix this on my laptop (the one that wasnt working) and see if I can get a fix going, since I managed to get it working on another pc running the same OS.

Upvote 0
Thanks! Worked like a charm once I read step 5. I was getting the error until I realized I had not turned off my wifi on my PC. Once I turned it off, uninstalled/reinstalled HTC Sync and CCleaned it, everything worked perfectly.

I have Windows 7 32bit

Upvote 0
I got an error code 171. And I am STILL trying to do this and still no luck. Don't get it. :mad::mad:

OK, lets try to start over fresh.

Go into your control panel, and programs and features. Uninstall anything related to your phone. HTC Sync, My Verizon stuff, whatever you can. Next, back in the control panel, go to device manager and check in there for anything involving your phone ( such as any HTC drivers. BE CAREFUL not to remove anything else in here! )

Now, reboot and run CCleaner. If ccleaner did anything at all, reboot again.

OK, now we need to get you your driver, and lets try something different. Lets start with using the driver from PDAnet ( Download PdaNet )

Make sure the phone is still disconnected before running that. It will tell you when to plug the phone in, so make sure to actually read it.

After that is done, verify your WIFI is off. ( In fact, you could probably put the phone in airplane mode. ) Then run the RUU as administrator in XP compatibility.

If you have a problem, install the 2.0.33 version of HTC Sync which just came back recently and was down before: http://www.htc.com/us/support/droid-incredible-verizon/downloads/

This is the proper HTC Sync for the Inc and the one I used.

Retry the RUU as before.

Finally, if that does not work try installing VZAccess Manager ( VZAccess Manager ) and retry.

<crosses fingers>

Reactions: zedwards
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones