1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

S-LCD screen, how to tell?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lefthand, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Lefthand

Lefthand Well-Known Member

I'm just considering buying a Desire, but I gather newer versions have a S-LCD screen which is reputedly better than the older AMOLED. Is it possible to tell which is which before buying? Is this indicated on the box for example? I want to make sure I get the latest version!

2. DNick

DNick Android Enthusiast

You really should search this. But if you put on a back screen, and if you see some glowing around the edges, then it's the slcd. if you don't then it's the amoled. You may need to be in a dark room.

Lefthand likes this.
  3. Red_Avatar

Red_Avatar Well-Known Member

I did search about this before but I doubt the reports are all accurate.

My brother and me both have a Desire, but my screen is more "yellow" and according to reports, it means mine is SLCD. My brother's is far "whiter" compared to mine. While I have warm colours, his are more vibrant. Yet if I move into a pitch dark room, there's no glowing around the edges at all. Also, some sites said the SLCD uses more power but when my brother bought his phone, I did a test and mine lasted longer even though his had fewer apps installed and running. So yeah, not sure what to believe now. I know we have different screens but many of these stories don't hold up and I think some may simply be due to different hardware series/different hardware plants being involved, next to the actual screen.

Lefthand likes this.
  4. EddyOS

EddyOS Android Expert

Easiest way, look on the box - it says "3.7" AMOLED touch screen" if it's AMOLED

Lefthand likes this.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews