• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S-LCD screen, how to tell?

Lefthand

Sep 27, 2009
UK
I'm just considering buying a Desire, but I gather newer versions have a S-LCD screen which is reputedly better than the older AMOLED. Is it possible to tell which is which before buying? Is this indicated on the box for example? I want to make sure I get the latest version!

You really should search this. But if you put on a back screen, and if you see some glowing around the edges, then it's the slcd. if you don't then it's the amoled. You may need to be in a dark room.
I did search about this before but I doubt the reports are all accurate.

My brother and me both have a Desire, but my screen is more "yellow" and according to reports, it means mine is SLCD. My brother's is far "whiter" compared to mine. While I have warm colours, his are more vibrant. Yet if I move into a pitch dark room, there's no glowing around the edges at all. Also, some sites said the SLCD uses more power but when my brother bought his phone, I did a test and mine lasted longer even though his had fewer apps installed and running. So yeah, not sure what to believe now. I know we have different screens but many of these stories don't hold up and I think some may simply be due to different hardware series/different hardware plants being involved, next to the actual screen.

Reactions: Lefthand
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones