• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-off and GPS problem

deanshep85

Android Expert
Nov 22, 2010
UK
I have a done a google search on this and there are multiple answers on my problem, one doesnt work and the other two are long winded or risky..

basically I S-off'd my Desire the other day (along with my other half's wildfire, also same problem) and noticed a couple days later that GPS FAILS on both devices..checking via numerous GPS apps like GPS Status etc and they said Invalid or Not there etc.

One answer I found suggested wiping Agps data and restoring...but that did nothing at all. Its the other two options that I'm a little bit unsure of.
One suggests to update the radio file on the phone which I feel is probably a lil risky. The other suggests, downgrading back to a stock ROM and then checking GPS works, then reflashing custom ROM. Problem with the stock ROM option is some have said flashing a stock RUU will either wipe root or just wipe clockworkmod, which given I have to do 2 phones is just a REALLY long ass process again :(

What I want to know is that, one answer did suggest to flash a previous 'working' ROM and then check GPS and then flash other ROM back on. Would this work? also if I took a nandroid of my current (dead GPS) ROM...would reflashing it back on kill the GPS again?

also with the Radio option, can I just reflash the SAME radio back on without any risky problems?

just restore a nandroid of a rom you had previously, where gps worked.

Personally I cant see how s-off would affect gps, but there you go.

but can I then put the 'current' nandroid back on? I only ask because I have quite alot of saved game on this current ROM and I have NEVER ever gotten game saves to EVER bloody save properly switching roms etc..

also the only working rom for my other half is a different ROM so would rather not have to reset her phone back again and have to remove and install all over again.

but then again it would probably make sense..

and its just a odd how I s-off both devices and GPS dies on both...ok I changed from stock htc to CM7 on her wildfire but my phone kept the same GV 2.8 (yes I havent updated to 3.3...havent felt the need lol) except for the fact of installing leedroid briefly so I COULD s-off mine, then just reflashed the GV nandroid.

Upvote 0
yes, its just to test. Nandroid back to a rom where gps worked before s-off. Test gps. Works? Nothing to do with s-off process. Not work? Possibly s-off process.#

Its all about taking a logical and methodical approach to resolution.

Now I doubt you literally tested GPS as working, s-offed the tested GPS fail so with that in mind, we need to do as much testing as we can and if that involves RUUing at some point, so be it. We will need to consider factory reset before that though. There are lots of things we can or need to do to get an answer but we can always get you back to where you are now.

Game saves usually in /data/data/appname btw.

Upvote 0
just a question and I'm not trying to fault you Dan, but I can accept on one device that s-offing might not break GPS....but two devices?

also theres a number of threads about on XDA and other sites with the same issue right after an s-off on different ROMS.

again not trying to argue, just trying to examine things before changing things on phone first.

Upvote 0
well thats a relief at least lol

well just did a nandroid backup....did ALL the wiping needed and just factory reset it...and boom, GPS back...but strangely...ALL the google apps were missing from GV 2.8 when I reset...which is a lil weird..

now just done a nandroid restore, lets test that..

Upvote 0
well restored the 'current' ROM and well it restored in a blink of an eye (weird) and then just hung for like 15 minutes on the HTC logo...which it shouldn't do...now just re-restored current ROM and well that took about 3 minutes to restore which it was a lil better...now just waiting on the reboot now....lets see :|

Upvote 0
found out why the restore was quick....cos it NEVER actually gave me a backup...just 100mb worth.....what was left of my SD card....ooops! LOL

anyway, numerous wiping and flashing and testing....I'm back to my nandroid of a week ago just before s-offing and it all works fine again...had to reinstall a few programs that for some reason DIDNT like mr nandroid...but not too much hardwork..

the other half's wildfire though on the other hand....my jesus is it a pain....theres F*ck all in the way of GOOD roms from what I can see....CM7 the official build (least from what I can see) is ok but a lil buggy...camera issues and battery died in like 8 hours with NO USE and sound dying for some reason, so tried others....and most if not 90% of gingerbread roms listed on XDA are just the same rom with like one or two apps changed here and there and the launchers changed....yet still buggy and also the amount of in fighting as well on there because of it..."I'm a dev but don't compile" etc....its crazy! lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones