1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

S-OFF, preferred method for kernel flashing

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by talevo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. talevo

talevo Member

I'm currently on an arc reactor kernel with latest viper4g. Everything is great except when I try to stream a movie out the through hdmi. It goes into slow motion. I've posted about this on here (someone else had same issues as well) and at xda but I guess thicklizard never found out what was wrong. Anyways, great kernel except for that, and I'd like to return to the kernel that came stock with viper WITHOUT re flashing the rom. Seems I read some place some time ago on how to do this but I can't remember and a few things I tried won't work. Thought I could flash the boot.img through twrp but dunno? How would I go about accomplishing what I'm trying to do?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

You can do it three ways:
    1. Fastboot flash the boot.img
    2. Wipe dalvik cache and cache and re-flash the rom(you will not loose data).
    3.nandroid backup restore(provided you did one before you flashed the kernel)

Granite1 and talevo like this.
  3. talevo

talevo Member

Rgr, I'll give one of 2 of those a try. Thanks!

edit: procedure for #1 involves renaming the thing to PJ75IMG.zip or whatever?

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. ocnbrze

No.....pull the boot.img out of the rom and move to your sdk folder on your pc. Boot the phone into fastboot.....on your pc type the command fastboot flash boot.img

5. ocnbrze

And just an fyi you should always make a nandroid backup before flashing kernels for this very reason.......makes things a lot easier.

6. talevo

talevo Member

Good deal.. I have a nandroid current ready...I've been on this kernel since May or June and happen to have a nandroid of what I need but it's too old...some reason I was thinking there was a less involved way of flashing with what I had.

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. ocnbrze

Ahhhh I see.....When you get sdk set up it is pretty straight forward really. Same as number#2.

8. talevo

talevo Member

Thanks again, I pushed it via fastboot and all went well. I might try looking for another kernel to try out just for fun but I don't think many are out there.

Granite1 and ocnbrze like this.

HTC EVO 4G LTE Forum

The HTC EVO 4G LTE release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 2000mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews