• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-OFF, root, & Fix Everything All-in-One!

So has it been is fastboot usb mode? If you leave it plugged in and type
adb reboot bootloader
Do you see fastboot usb in red letters? If not fastboot will return the waiting for device message

Alright, I figured it out! It was the new drivers from that website in the first post. I just installed the old drivers in the folder (my htc) instead ad I got my code! Thanks again guys!!

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
Alright, I figured it out! It was the new drivers from that website in the first post. I just installed the old drivers in the folder (my htc) instead ad I got my code! Thanks again guys!!
Can you please upload the drivers that worked for you? d-h.st is a good site to upload to for free... if you link them here I can update my guide so nobody else hits that same issue. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Can you please upload the drivers that worked for you? d-h.st is a good site to upload to for free... if you link them here I can update my guide so nobody else hits that same issue. Thanks!
My computer is acting up but I guess could at some point, although the drivers that I used were actually in the shooterrootsoff folder I downloaded originally. It's the win7x64 folder inside of the HTC drivers folder.

Upvote 0
because i will root later when i get a new phone and also cuz of pressure from my parents

The irony for me is that you already completed the most dangerous operation successfully (S-OFF). This doesn't mean that you couldn't screw your phone up in the future...but the fact that you did S-OFF, you were pretty much in the clear as far as bricking your phone.

The way I see it...if your HBOOT works, and you can boot to the bootloader...your phone is fine. EVERYTHING else can be fixed as long as the phone boots to the bootloader.

So after obtaining S-OFF, the only thing you can do to brick it (unless I am wrong) is to improperly flash a new bootloader.

Reactions: remanifest
Upvote 0
The irony for me is that you already completed the most dangerous operation successfully (S-OFF). This doesn't mean that you couldn't screw your phone up in the future...but the fact that you did S-OFF, you were pretty much in the clear as far as bricking your phone.

The way I see it...if your HBOOT works, and you can boot to the bootloader...your phone is fine. EVERYTHING else can be fixed as long as the phone boots to the bootloader.

So after obtaining S-OFF, the only thing you can do to brick it (unless I am wrong) is to improperly flash a new bootloader.
Spot-on, except for that turning the phone back to S-ON is probably (far) more risky than performing S-OFF because of having to make sure the correct variables are in place before doing that.

Upvote 0
Hi, Im on step one. I have my unlock_code.bin. Im trying to open it, but in the command prompt it just says < Waiting for device >, and does nothing. Any ideas would be great help. Thanks in advance.
What operating system are you using (Windows or Linux)?

What architecture is your operating system (32-bit or 64-bit)?

What command did you use to "try to open it"?

What screen is your phone on? (just type out some of the text on the screen).

These answers will help us determine where to go next -- thanks!

Upvote 0
hi so my problem is when im trying to do the ControBear.exe command. I have no problem getting into the bootloader by typing adb reboot bootloader, and it shows up unlocked and fastboot usb. however, when i run the controlbear.exe command, it only shows fastboot, no usb and the command prompt just keeps saying Waiting fastboot until the time is up. i installed the drivers for x64 like the guide said and I made sure USB debugging is on, charge only, and fast boot disabled.

Upvote 0
hi so my problem is when im trying to do the ControBear.exe command. I have no problem getting into the bootloader by typing adb reboot bootloader, and it shows up unlocked and fastboot usb. however, when i run the controlbear.exe command, it only shows fastboot, no usb and the command prompt just keeps saying Waiting fastboot until the time is up. i installed the drivers for x64 like the guide said and I made sure USB debugging is on, charge only, and fast boot disabled.
So you're starting ControlBear while in the bootloader, or while booted into your ROM?

Upvote 0
It sounds like your phone's USB port isn't being picked up by the bootloader for some reason. Have you tried manually entering "bootloader" from the HBOOT (should be the first menu option, power button to select), and then backing out and choosing "fastboot" again? Do this while ControlBear is running... it's weird that it's not picking up the USB when you run ControlBear, but this may work.

What operating system & architecture are you using on your computer? [Windows XP, 7, 8, etc.] [32-bit/64-bit]

Upvote 0
Sounds like a bad download, try downloading the file again.
OB

I have tried it all. I'm losing patience. I'm starting to think that throwing the phone through the wall will make it work again. Even the RUU won't work. It will tell me Customer ID Error. I'm putting zips on my phone through the recovery program. Since I am willing to try anything, im gonna try putting them on my phone through disk mode.

Upvote 0
I have tried it all. I'm losing patience. I'm starting to think that throwing the phone through the wall will make it work again. Even the RUU won't work. It will tell me Customer ID Error. I'm putting zips on my phone through the recovery program. Since I am willing to try anything, im gonna try putting them on my phone through disk mode.

okay that didnt work. I have no idea what to do here. I'm at a total loss. Could my sd be bad or something?

Upvote 0
I used this rom on my phone before the s-off so technically, it should work but it doesn't. I have checked the md5 before and it was good. Did it change during the s-off?
No, it shouldn't have. Did you flash the recovery in this guide? Is SmartFlash enabled in 4EXT? [it shouldn't be enabled]

What ROM is it that you're trying to flash?

Upvote 0
No, it shouldn't have. Did you flash the recovery in this guide? Is SmartFlash enabled in 4EXT? [it shouldn't be enabled]

What ROM is it that you're trying to flash?

I'm using TWRP 2.4.4.0
I been trying to flash Harmonia_3.17_Evo_V for like 2 days now. I just can't figure out what is wrong. It worked before I did s-off and now it doesn't work. Speaking of which, since I did the s-off, I cannot flash anything that doesn't have the Aroma Installer. It will just say the md5 file is either not found or it doesn't match. And I have flashed all these before I did the s-off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones