• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-off, rooting, unrooting?

ihate

Lurker
Nov 22, 2011
Sorry to create a somewhat redundant thread but I had questions and asking them on this thread seems kind of hopeless since it has a lot of unanswered replies going on. Sorry I'm a noob:

So my first question, does this method: http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s...a-wildfire-s-s-off-other-great-tutorials.html mean that I don't need to get an XTC clip to get s-off? If so, would it work on non virgin mobile phones?

Second, is there a way to unroot, or go back to original? I really don't want to void my warranty but at the same time my phone is pretty unusable if I don't root. So is it like the iPhone and is there a way for me to go back to the original setup in case something happens and get warranty?

Thanks.

Sorry to create a somewhat redundant thread but I had questions and asking them on this thread seems kind of hopeless since it has a lot of unanswered replies going on. Sorry I'm a noob:

So my first question, does this method: http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s...a-wildfire-s-s-off-other-great-tutorials.html mean that I don't need to get an XTC clip to get s-off? If so, would it work on non virgin mobile phones?

Second, is there a way to unroot, or go back to original? I really don't want to void my warranty but at the same time my phone is pretty unusable if I don't root. So is it like the iPhone and is there a way for me to go back to the original setup in case something happens and get warranty?
First question: No, you don't need an XTC clip to get s-off using that method. You make a Goldcard instead and that's sufficient to get you S-OFF and then root. Not to be critical, but if you had searched that tutorial (ctrl-f) for the string "xtc" you could have answered your own question. But, heh, we're here to help.

Would it work on non-VM phones? It depends. That guide works for CDMA phones otherwise known as Marvelc/Marvelct. GSM phones (Marvel) require unlocking the bootloader at htcdev.com (free) or xtc clip (expensive) and there are guides here for both paths.

Second question: If your phone requires warranty service because of a physical problem, the chances of you restoring your phone to an unrooted stock HTC ROM S-ON state are pretty slim to nil. Imagine trying to undo all your work with a black screen, chronically overheating battery, dead touchscreen, whatever. The best advice is to not S-OFF and root your device unless you are willing to risk losing your warranty. Whether it's worth the risk is up to you to decide. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones