• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root s-off stuck on step 3

No idea why it does that. But Its generally recommended you S-OFF on roms based on sense ie stock and leedroid. Which rom were you on before??

i had stock 2.2 that had been rooted with unrevoked3.

i sorted it out though. i flashed the stock 2.2 rom back onto it, re run unrevoked and then did alpharev again and it worked perfectly. im flashing a 2.3 rom onto it now.

thanks anyway

Upvote 0
i had stock 2.2 that had been rooted with unrevoked3.

i sorted it out though. i flashed the stock 2.2 rom back onto it, re run unrevoked and then did alpharev again and it worked perfectly. im flashing a 2.3 rom onto it now.

thanks anyway

you could have just done fastboot flash recovery clockworkmod-2-5-0-7.img or what ever its named
then booted to recovery and flashed 2.3 then

eitherway you are sorted

did you use cd method or virtual machine method? it usually works best as CD

Upvote 0
I have a HTC desire with Hboot version 0.800, rooted, with clockwork recovery and a CM10 system. I wanted to use Link2SD and found that I need to have it S-off.

I ran alpharev, because revolutionary site says they support other Hboot versions than mine, and the setup ran well until step 3. Then after showing the ominous message about "do not power off or it will brick your phone".... it remained stuck tehre for 30 mins or more. I did disconnect and reboot and it was not bricked.

However, I do not see how to get S-off to work -- since alpharev was stuck and revolutionary does not officially support my version. Any ideas?

PS: sorry if I'm rekindling dead threads, but I'm looking for some help

Upvote 0
One solution that would definitely work is running the official gingerbread RUU.

1 Take a nandroid back up first.

2 Run the RUU.

3 Then follow the guide to s-off and re-root the phone using revolutionary. This will include the s-off process & reinstalling your recovery as the RUU will have replaced it with the stock HTC recovery. Don't worry about flashing superuser because when you restore your nandroid it will be there.

4 Restore your backup.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Alpharev works best with a stock ROM, and there are many custom ROMs it won't work with. That's probably what's happened here. So the alternative to what Nicka suggests would be to put a rooted stock ROM on temporarily, run alpharev, then restore your CM10 nandroid.

Whether that's less work that the procedure Nicka suggests isn't obvious, but I thought you should know both options (assuming alpharev supports a hboot as old as you have anyway).

Reactions: nicka3200
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones