• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root s-on and want to flash roms? READ THIS

Thankyou for the info. Problem is I don't have a fast boot directory on the computer. I started digging around and I found that I used the Rezound all in one Toolkit V3.2 on another computer I wiped.

[TOOL] [4-22-2013] HTC Rezound All-In-One To… | HTC Rezound | XDA Forum

So I have no drivers or any folders. At this point I would be fine to go back to stock. What ever is the easiest.

I remember this toolkit. I just clicked on 3 or 4 buttons and it did everything for me. Now the thread is no longer supported I don't know what to do and your instructions ask me to do things I don't know how to do or have folders. I am not sure what fast boot is.

Can you help?

Upvote 0
After reading more. What would I need to install. HTC drivers for the fastboot directory. I see that because I have S-on I have to install the boot.img separately.
Fastboot is part of ADB (Android Debugging Bridge) or maybe easier, Mini-ADB

The drivers for the Rezound can be gotten from HTC, just install the current HTC Sync software, then remove the software (the drivers will stay). Or Google can help you find the current stand-alone driver package.

And yes, because you are S-ON, you MUST flash the boot.img manually.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
the point of this thread,is that when the recovery is booted into phone memory( fastboot boot recoveryimagename.img ) that you do not need to flash the boot image seperately,a booted recovery can install it.

in order to boot the recovery you still need a computer with working adb/fastboot,so the choice is yours wether to 1)boot recovery 2)manually install boot image 3)both 1 and 2 for good measure ;)

you can use this thread to get adb set up and working: http://androidforums.com/rezound-al...ys-noob-friendly-root-guide-start-finish.html

for the record,this is why im not a fan of toolkits. they typically offer little to no support after the fact,and if you have issues.

Upvote 0
the point of this thread,is that when the recovery is booted into phone memory( fastboot boot recoveryimagename.img ) that you do not need to flash the boot image seperately,a booted recovery can install it.

in order to boot the recovery you still need a computer with working adb/fastboot,so the choice is yours wether to 1)boot recovery 2)manually install boot image 3)both 1 and 2 for good measure ;)

you can use this thread to get adb set up and working: http://androidforums.com/rezound-al...ys-noob-friendly-root-guide-start-finish.html

I went there. The link to the rezound drivers is broken. The link to the to the [Recovery] Amon Ra style vigor - xda-developers shows you must have S-off.

for the record,this is why im not a fan of toolkits. they typically offer little to no support after the fact,and if you have issues.

The advantage to the kits is they work. While I appreciate your time very much and am grateful. The links are broken, the information is conflicting with the links that do work and I still have a dead phone.

Upvote 0
The advantage to the kits is they work. While I appreciate your time very much and am grateful. The links are broken, the information is conflicting with the links that do work and I still have a dead phone.

sorry for the broken driver link,i have a lot of threads here,and do not always remember to update things unless someone mentions in the thread. the rezound was a daily driver over a year and several phones ago for me,so while i do try and support this thread(as well as my others) and check the forums from time to time,im not in this thread alot unless ive gotten a notification of a reply.

heres a mirror for those drivers:
Simple File Sharing and Storage.

heres one for the newest drivers:
HTCDriver_4.0.1.002

ill get mirrors added to the OP. again,sorry for the fustration.

you do not need s off to install or boot a recovery. the first line of the thread you linked is a bit confusing:
REQUIRES S-OFF from HTC-DEV UNLOCK or VIA A REVOLUTIONARY METHOD(IF ONE BECOMES AVAILABLE)

keep in mind that the thread was started back when the unlock program was new,and not every one understood it.

a better way to have said the above would have been this:
REQUIRES an unlocked bootloader from HTC-DEV UNLOCK or s-off VIA A REVOLUTIONARY METHOD(IF ONE BECOMES AVAILABLE)
we can discuss the differences between s on and off and locked/unlocked bootloaders if you wish. however,this thread was started before an actual s off was available,and it does work on an s on, bootloader unlocked device.

ace gave you some specific steps,are you haveing any issues or questions with those? im quite certain we can get your phone working :)

Reactions: r1chm
Upvote 0
Don't forget Rumrunner S-Off fully supports the Rezound, but you must be on a custom ROM, or at the very least a unsecure kernel. It is the only 100% working Windows-based S-OFF method...

Some users have mentioned that Firewater S-Off works, but others have said it didn't work for them... not sure the deal there, and it says that it only requires root at a minimum but this may be the unsecure kernel issue as well since it is from the same developers as Rumrunner.

Upvote 0
i turned my rezound s on to test both. rumrunner worked fine with root access and an insecure kernel. firewater did not work for me on the same rom/kernel that did work for rumrunner... if it did actually work for someone,id be interested in hearing those details :)

but at any rate, s off is well worth doing,especially now that you dont need to do the dreaded "wire trick" :eek: :D

s off makes rom flashing and firmware changes much easier,and offers much greater oportunity to rescue soft brick devices.

Reactions: acejavelin
Upvote 0
sorry for the broken driver link,i have a lot of threads here,and do not always remember to update things unless someone mentions in the thread.

No problem

heres one for the newest drivers:
HTCDriver_4.0.1.002

Got this one

ill get mirrors added to the OP. again,sorry for the fustration.

you do not need s off to install or boot a recovery. the first line of the thread you linked is a bit confusing:

keep in mind that the thread was started back when the unlock program was new,and not every one understood it.

a better way to have said the above would have been this:

we can discuss the differences between s on and off and locked/unlocked bootloaders if you wish. however,this thread was started before an actual s off was available,and it does work on an s on, bootloader unlocked device.

ace gave you some specific steps,are you haveing any issues or questions with those? im quite certain we can get your phone working :)

It didn't work unfortunatly. See my next post. :(

Upvote 0
It failed here

"6) Select Wipe, Advanced, and tick everything except MicroSD, and swipe to start. Do it one more time."

I wiped it 3 times and it said Failed. It could not access the cache or the folders. I thought they might not be there so I went ahead.

It says

Removing old system
Copying Data and Applications
Initialzing System

It has hung there for an hour. I will go to bed and let it run but I am not hopeful

Upvote 0
Yeah, the fact the wipes won't complete means the partitions are toast, or the flash memory is bad... Are you S-Off or S-On? If S-On there isn't much that can be done... Of S-Off find the 3.14.605.12 RUU executable, the one that runs from Windows, not the flashable ZIP, and run it, sometimes it can fix the partition table, if its corrupt and not actually bad chip.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the fact the wipes won't complete means the partitions are toast, or the flash memory is bad... Are you S-Off or S-On? If S-On there isn't much that can be done... Of S-Off find the 3.14.605.12 RUU executable, the one that runs from Windows, not the flashable ZIP, and run it, sometimes it can fix the partition table, if its corrupt and not actually bad chip.

I am going to call verizon today and cancel the phone it is out of contract anyway. That's a bummer. The contract had true unlimited 4g data. I don't want to switch phone number and you can't add a new phone to it as the plan goes away. Only an old phone can be added and I don't want to go buy something used. I have 4GB of data on my current number. I guess I will have to make due with that.

Upvote 0
I am going to call verizon today and cancel the phone it is out of contract anyway. That's a bummer. The contract had true unlimited 4g data. I don't want to switch phone number and you can't add a new phone to it as the plan goes away. Only an old phone can be added and I don't want to go buy something used. I have 4GB of data on my current number. I guess I will have to make due with that.
Umm... You can buy a phone outright or just move the SIM to another device. If you have unlimited on that number just move the SIM to another phone. On swappa.com you can get a cheap Verizon LTE phone for under $100, even a Galaxy Nexus can be had for around $100.

Upvote 0
Umm... You can buy a phone outright or just move the SIM to another device. If you have unlimited on that number just move the SIM to another phone. On swappa.com you can get a cheap Verizon LTE phone for under $100, even a Galaxy Nexus can be had for around $100.

Couple questions.

I have never used swappa. Is it risky? Say compared to ebay?

I looked at the Galaxy Nexus. Is it a better phone than the rezound? The rezound has a card slot which I use, it also takes longer life batteries and I have a few and other accessories. Does the Nexus have a card slot and longer life batteries avail?

There are some factory referbs for the rezound on ebay for $94
HTC Rezound 4G Android Phone Verizon Clean ESN Mint Condition 044476820144 | eBay

I intend to root and use the phone as a hotspot or tethered. Which phone would be better in that capacity?

I appreciate your help. I am hoping to understand why you threw out that choice for a phone, if it has some advantage over the rezound. Thanks

Upvote 0
Couple questions.

I have never used swappa. Is it risky? Say compared to ebay?

I looked at the Galaxy Nexus. Is it a better phone than the rezound? The rezound has a card slot which I use, it also takes longer life batteries and I have a few and other accessories. Does the Nexus have a card slot and longer life batteries avail?

There are some factory referbs for the rezound on ebay for $94
HTC Rezound 4G Android Phone Verizon Clean ESN Mint Condition 044476820144 | eBay

I intend to root and use the phone as a hotspot or tethered. Which phone would be better in that capacity?

I appreciate your help. I am hoping to understand why you threw out that choice for a phone, if it has some advantage over the rezound. Thanks
The Galaxy Nexus does not have a card slot, but does come in a 32GB model. The battery life is similar to slightly better than the Rezound, all early LTE models had notoriously bad battery life, but like the Rezound the GN has several extended batteries available. As far as root/romming goes, there is nothing more supported than a Nexus device, there are tons of ROMs available and it is very actively supported (just like all Google Nexus devices).

As far as eBay/Swappa thing goes, I have bought a few phones on eBay but I won't anymore, everyone I got was riddled with issues, the last one I tried was a "new" Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, it worked OK until you tried to upgrade it to the stock JellyBean firmware, it wouldn't charge after than... This is not to say all eBay phones are bad, it is just my experience. Swappa is a little more reliable and is used frequently, I personally haven't bought from them but I have pointed several people there and they have bought devices with no issues.

There are other phones available, depending on what you want to spend, such as the SGS3, HTC Incredible 4G LTE, and HTC DNA would all fit your needs as well.

Upvote 0
The Galaxy Nexus does not have a card slot, but does come in a 32GB model. The battery life is similar to slightly better than the Rezound, all early LTE models had notoriously bad battery life, but like the Rezound the GN has several extended batteries available. As far as root/romming goes, there is nothing more supported than a Nexus device, there are tons of ROMs available and it is very actively supported (just like all Google Nexus devices).

I went with the rezound

As far as eBay/Swappa thing goes, I have bought a few phones on eBay but I won't anymore, everyone I got was riddled with issues, the last one I tried was a "new" Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, it worked OK until you tried to upgrade it to the stock JellyBean firmware, it wouldn't charge after than... This is not to say all eBay phones are bad, it is just my experience. Swappa is a little more reliable and is used frequently, I personally haven't bought from them but I have pointed several people there and they have bought devices with no issues.

This rezound was from a dealer who when I called, they said it was a true factory referb and I had 30 return policy.

There are other phones available, depending on what you want to spend, such as the SGS3, HTC Incredible 4G LTE, and HTC DNA would all fit your needs as well.

Thanks. I will try to root thing again on the new one and see how it goes.

Upvote 0
My phone is root unlock s-on and i tried to flash a custom rom which i must have done incorrectly as it got stuck on the htc splash screen. After following this guide to resolve this i booted recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img but instead of going to recovery it got stuck on the htc logo again! any ideas? I already have ace hack kit clockwork mod recovery v4.0.1.4 Thanks for any help!

Upvote 0
My phone is root unlock s-on and i tried to flash a custom rom which i must have done incorrectly as it got stuck on the htc splash screen. After following this guide to resolve this i booted recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img but instead of going to recovery it got stuck on the htc logo again! any ideas? I already have ace hack kit clockwork mod recovery v4.0.1.4 Thanks for any help!
First off, don't try using Amon Ra or older CWM versions with current ROMs, the flash will fail!!! If you used a really old recovery to flash a JB/KitKat ROM you can (potentially) corrupt your device.

Only use TWRP 2.7.1.1 or CWM 6.0.5.0 to flash newer ROMs, and then boot it with fastboot, wipe everything except Internal/External storage, although some ROM devs recommend wiping internal as well, then flash the ROM, or if you are starting recovery on the device itself, you MUST flash the boot.img manually via fastboot.

You should really go over to XDA and ask for assistance if you can't get it working, there are tons of active developers and users of this phone in the Rezound Forums there, it is about the only place where current information can be had on this device.

Upvote 0

This is the HTC rezound forum. Is this the phone that you have? If not,you will need to boot a recovery compatible with your particular device.

Ill update the op with the newest twrp when I get back to a pc. While using an older recovery with a new rom won't work,the older recovery still should boot,wich makes me think something else is going on.

Reactions: acejavelin
Upvote 0
Hi Scotty...You are awesome. Thank you for the detailed instructions.

I am a newb to doing such tech stuff. Tried rooting flash custom ROM and looks like I have ruined my HTC sensation and it does not go past the HTC screen.

HTC Sensation 4G
Unlocked Bootloader
Pyramid Pvt SHIP S-ON
H-BOOT-1.27.0000
eMMC-boot

Will your method work for my phone? Looks like the H-Boot version is different. Thought of checking if this method is compatible to my phone.

Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
Hi Scotty...You are awesome. Thank you for the detailed instructions.

I am a newb to doing such tech stuff. Tried rooting flash custom ROM and looks like I have ruined my HTC sensation and it does not go past the HTC screen.

HTC Sensation 4G
Unlocked Bootloader
Pyramid Pvt SHIP S-ON
H-BOOT-1.27.0000
eMMC-boot

Will your method work for my phone? Looks like the H-Boot version is different. Thought of checking if this method is compatible to my phone.

Thank you for your help.

yup,booting recovery on sensation should let it install the boot image. just remember,this guide is in the rezound forum,so you will need to substitute the linked recovery for one compatible with your device. :)

Upvote 0

and now the best for last:
3) fastboot boot your recovery into phone memory

this involves,basically,placing your recovery image inside the folder that contains adb and fastboot,booting the phone to fastboot,and the launching recovery into phone memory by entering the command:
fastboot boot recoveryname.img

do not confuse this with the fastboot flash command.

fastboot boot is taking an image,and booting it right up on the phone.

fastboot flash is permantly installing an image into the phones filesystem.

ok,pay attention guys,cause im tired of typing this over and over in different threads ;)

*if you use fastboot boot to launch your recovery into phone memory,then recovery CAN write to the boot partition,making rom flashing on your s-on device just like rom flashing on an s-off device.

i.e.,launching recovery from fastboot lets the rom install the kernel,and requires no seperate kernel flashing. this means that when you are following a rom developers install instructions,you can follow the set for s-off devices.

why does this work?!

well,an oversimplified explanation is this:
-fastboot is part of the bootloader,wich can write to the /boot partition
-launching recovery from bootloader,makes the recoverys operations work thru the bootloader.
-hence,launched recovery can write boot image. hooray! :smokingsomb:

all the above applies to bakcups as well. you canot restore a backup from the permenent recovery if it contains a different kernel. just like flashing a rom. all the above info in this post applies to restoring a rom as well.

2)launch a temporary recovery:
-temporarily launch your recovery to phone memory:

fastboot boot <recoveryname>.img

again,if youre using amon:
fastboot boot recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img

-youll see a (really fast) green status bar on the top right as your PC sends the recovery to your phone. youll then see the HTC splash screen,then your recovery.

now that youre recovery is running,you have lots of options. you can mount usb storage to move things on and off the sd card if you need to.
note that once recovery is running,you can unplug from the PC if you want to flash your rom from the couch,ktichen table,or wherever :)

Hello scotty85,

I know this might not be the place for my device, which is HTC One M7 but this thread attracts me for being able to flash ROM with s-on.

I want to flash GPE for my one M7 (Asia-HK-CHT CID HTC__622) but just cannot get to s-off (I can flash both rom and radio and even fastboot flash boot boot.img but then the os system reboot itself everytime it gets into the first setup page, the language selection page...)

So I tried your way but I what I have experienced is the quick little green bar did show on my fastboot screen but then nothing else happened. The phone freezes from there and not accepting any other command. Have to manually power-off and on.

I had latest HTC OTA update to 4.4.3 with hboot 1.57. Has the command changed in 1.57 as I saw some guy said after 1.54 it changed so you have to put variant specific to each device? Is this true?

Would you be able to shed some light on this? Many thanks!

Upvote 0
Hello scotty85,

I know this might not be the place for my device, which is HTC One M7 but this thread attracts me for being able to flash ROM with s-on.

I want to flash GPE for my one M7 (Asia-HK-CHT CID HTC__622) but just cannot get to s-off (I can flash both rom and radio and even fastboot flash boot boot.img but then the os system reboot itself everytime it gets into the first setup page, the language selection page...)

So I tried your way but I what I have experienced is the quick little green bar did show on my fastboot screen but then nothing else happened. The phone freezes from there and not accepting any other command. Have to manually power-off and on.

I had latest HTC OTA update to 4.4.3 with hboot 1.57. Has the command changed in 1.57 as I saw some guy said after 1.54 it changed so you have to put variant specific to each device? Is this true?

Would you be able to shed some light on this? Many thanks!

That is correct. You cannot use the fastboot boot command with hboot 1.57. You will need to manually install the boot image with fastboot flash.

As far as your rom not booting,make sure you are installing a rom that is compatible with your m7,that you are on the recomended firmware,and have used the recomended recovery to install it.

Reactions: stepzzw
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones