• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-On, Back to stock?

Hey,

I am S-ON with an unlocked bootloader. I want to return back to stock so that i can get the official OTA. Is there a guide on how to do that? I did see a guide for S-Off, but wasnt quite sure what to do with S-ON.

Thanks

http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/506466-scottys-noob-friendly-root-guide-start-finish.html#post3997776

This should do it for you. Scotty's first post explains how to root your phone, and the second post (which I linked to) tells you how to unroot it. I would recommend reading everything in the first post too just because you'll get a better understanding of everything and Scotty really knows what he's talking about. Hope this helps.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/506466-scottys-noob-friendly-root-guide-start-finish.html#post3997776

This should do it for you. Scotty's first post explains how to root your phone, and the second post (which I linked to) tells you how to unroot it. I would recommend reading everything in the first post too just because you'll get a better understanding of everything and Scotty really knows what he's talking about. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I've used his ROMS and advice before. Almost wondering if its worth going back to the stock setup since the baseband/radios didnt change much from Gingerbread...

Upvote 0
Thanks. I've used his ROMS and advice before. Almost wondering if its worth going back to the stock setup since the baseband/radios didnt change much from Gingerbread...

ICS is great and I would definitely recommend getting the update. It takes full advantage of your phone's capabilities. Unlocking and rooting the phone is just as simple as before, and there are plenty of ROMs to try out over at XDA. It's worth it in my opinion.

Upvote 0
ICS is great and I would definitely recommend getting the update. It takes full advantage of your phone's capabilities. Unlocking and rooting the phone is just as simple as before, and there are plenty of ROMs to try out over at XDA. It's worth it in my opinion.

Sorry, i may not have been clear. I am already running an ICS rom with sense 4.0 on my rezound. NIls business v2.6

Upvote 0
i like to think things are better/faster/stronger with the ICS firmware,but the bottom line is that if your happy with your current setup,then "if it aint broke dont fix it" :)

some folks report more heat and battery loss on ICS. some report the same on GB :eek: if you update with an s-on device and happen to have issues,you cannot revert back to GB firmware without doing the s-off procedure.

Reactions: obscuro
Upvote 0
Followed the guide, but have a problem where my phone wont load the internal storage and SD card on the phone. I believe this may be due to the fact that im S-ON and have updated the a different hboot firmware (did i say that right)

Its OK, now my question is how do i get back to a custom rom if i cant load the SD card?

Upvote 0
if you are on GB firmware and ICS software,or vice versa,then that is indeed your issue.

have you just s-offed? if so, i would strongly recomend to run a full ruu and get yourself on ICS firmware. prior to installing a custom recovery, use the clear storage option in hboot.

after that finished,you can install recovery,install a rom.

you can get things onto your sd by:
1)card reader in the pc
2)enable usb storage in recovery

Upvote 0
if you are on GB firmware and ICS software,or vice versa,then that is indeed your issue.

have you just s-offed? if so, i would strongly recomend to run a full ruu and get yourself on ICS firmware. prior to installing a custom recovery, use the clear storage option in hboot.

after that finished,you can install recovery,install a rom.

you can get things onto your sd by:
1)card reader in the pc
2)enable usb storage in recovery

The full RUU of the OTA was failing because I hadn't locked using the fastboot oem lock command. Once i did that I was able to flash the OTA of ICS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones