1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

?'s on Google Calendar Sync - Please help!

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by CatB, Jan 4, 2012.

1. CatB

CatB Member
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    I am about to take the plunge and start using Google Calendar to sync my Outlook 2007 calendar with my Droid ThunderBolt. I have had too many frustrations with HTC Sync and need to dump it before I become a full blown alcoholic.

For those who have successfully used Google Calendar Sync (I know there are many who have not), can you tell me:

1) how far back can Google Calendar Sync go with appts? For Example, if I want to keep a year's worth of appt going forward and going back on my phone, but want to keep many years worth of appts on my Outlook, is there a way to set Google Calendar Sync (GCS) to do that?

2) I have heard nothing but bad stuff about using GCS to sync contacts. Is this something I should avoid and if so, what would be the best way to sync my contacts that are currently in Outlook? (I hear duplication is one of the worst problems with contacts in GCS).

3) I have purchased and like to use Pocket Informant as my main calendar viewing/input app on my Droid. This is considered a 3rd party calendar app, I believe. I had heard that this is a no-no when using GCS, and that third party apps should not be used. Is this true? I hope not, as I feel that the default calendar app on the HTC Droids really does suck!

4) How much do I need to worry about my appts, contacts, etc and privacy, if I start using the "clouds" to sync my data between my Droid and my desktop?

5) I have a gmail acct soley because I think I needed to set one up to start using my Droid device. I have a gmail email acct that I never use, rather, I use my comcast email account and have it the emails pushed to my device. Is there any reason I need to change that now if I start using GCS?

Thanks for your help in answering these questions. I have used the Seach feature here to try and get some answers to these specific questions but with no luck, so I appreciate your assistance before I take the leap.

Here's to saying freaking "GOOD-BYE" to HTC Sync and USB syncing altogether!

Advertisement

2. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    I tried Google Calendar Sync, but I stopped using it. I now use this method to sync my calendar & contacts with Outlook. It's so much better in my opinion. It'll keep historical calendar data and future calendar data on the phone for at least a year, probably multiple years. I think Google Calendar Sync will sync as much data as you have in your Outlook calendar. There is NO WAY to set a limit. You can only turn it on and off, one-way or two-way. No other options.

I had duplication. Otherwise it works OK. Again, I think this method is infinitely superior for syncing calendar and contacts with Outlook. (I still use gmail as my primary email though.)

No idea about Pocket Informant.

Google has announced that they will use your contact data to better target you and your contacts with advertising and services. Microsoft has announced that they won't. (Of course they could change their minds at any time). Keeping your data out of the hands of Google is one more reason to consider using this method to sync your calendar and contacts. The cloud brings benefits and loss of privacy. I always think that it's funny that people are worried about the government intruding on their privacy. The government isn't nearly as motivated nor as competent as Google.

There is no need to use gmail for email if you just want to use GCS. You can continue to use your Comcast email account whether you use Gmail or this method to sync your calendar and contacts.

I don't know if Comcast mail offers IMAP access or if Comcast only offers POP access. One nice thing about Gmail is that it does offer IMAP access. IMAP enables your email account to synchronize between multiple devices. For example, if you have a desktop PC, a laptop PC, and an Android phone accessing an IMAP email account, then the Inboxes, Sent mail folders, Draft mail folders, saved mail folders, deleted mail, etc, will be perfectly synchronized on all devices. That can't be done with POP.

Another nice thing about Gmail, relative to ISP-based email, is that you don't have to change your email address when you change ISPs. I hate getting emails from people saying, "I changed my ISP from Comcast to Verizon so please please update your address book to my new email address." I always feel like saying, "Please get a gmail address and you won't have to bother your friends every time you switch ISPs."

3. spile

spile Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    I can recommend MyPhoneExplorer which is a free app and is being continually developed with a vibrant user forum.

4. CatB

CatB Member
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Kind of funny you say that, as everytime I ask some detailed questions about Google Sync, someone inevitably brings this up and says its great. Maybe I just need to look at this as an option, too, since so many people are endorsing it.

Are you currently using it on a Droid?

Can it do all the things I mentioned in my first post and does it work seamlessly with Outlook 2007, sync calendar and contacts and enable back and forth syncing between phone and desktop?

Thanks!