• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S-Pen laggy, anyone else notice?

aidanodr

Lurker
Mar 20, 2012
Hi,

Has anyone else noticed this particularly when using drawing apps inc S MEMO?

There is a slight delay/lag when one uses the pen to draw a line or write a signature. This makes it very difficult to draw precisely.

I am wondering is this an issue with gingerbread that needs a bit of patience to get solved with the imminent ICS?

On other forums I have noticed people were having this lag issue, returned Note for another, problem solved:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=24540654

Mmmm ..

Cheers
Aidan

Its interesting that people with different NOTEs are having different problems where the pen is concerned.

Lag, no lag .. "displacement" of drawing with pen.

Zenstrive - I thing your issue maybe resolved by "Calibrating" the S-Pen:

1. Dial *#0*# using phone dialer
2. New admin type screen pops up
3. Select S-PEN Test
4. Draw around edges etc with aid of next screen
5. PASS will pop up when finished

However this does not solve my lag issue. I shall wait until ICS arrives it might miraculously solve this issue.

Any other thoughts appreciated ..

Aidan

Reactions: Pojken
Upvote 0
As a seperate but a tad related issue -

Apparently the ICS version of S-Memo will have some sort of mode/ setting so that it does not "recognise" your hand when leaning on the screen. At the momemt its a bit unnatural that you can not support / lean your hand on the screen while drawing.

Aidan

Upvote 0
I am wondering. Before buying the note I read as many online reviews, and watched as many video reviews as I could, and every single one said, or showed the s-pen as having lag.

Is this a different kind of lag? Something 'more' laggy than what I was expecting and am experiencing?

As an example - if you go to YouTube and search for galaxy note s-pen lag - you get so many videos about the lag. But this is what I was expecting, and I am able to still draw and write ok with it.

So - again - is this something more that is happening to some people? I haven't checked support forums for the lag because I assumed everyone knew it was lagging.

(I still would like it to be improved - but it's not bad IMO)

Upvote 0
Basically what you are seeing is a limitation of current touchscreen technology. Although the delay is minor, it is well within the range of annoyance for a lot of people. I have been told that some manufacturers (tempted to say Microsoft here but my memory does not serve) are working on reducing the delay and are making good progress. However, as far as the Note is concerned, we will just have to get used to it. If you are less sensitive to the problem (like myself) then count yourself lucky ;)

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Upvote 0
Basically what you are seeing is a limitation of current touchscreen technology. Although the delay is minor, it is well within the range of annoyance for a lot of people. I have been told that some manufacturers (tempted to say Microsoft here but my memory does not serve) are working on reducing the delay and are making good progress. However, as far as the Note is concerned, we will just have to get used to it. If you are less sensitive to the problem (like myself) then count yourself lucky ;)

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Yep, it's Microsoft. Cool video.

Applied Sciences Group: High Performance Touch - YouTube

Upvote 0
Didn't know where else to post this.

Hello. Just got a new Note and was wondering if the tip of the S Pen is supposed to look like it was pushed too far inwards? Have a look and let me know if yours looks the same. Thanks. BH

spen.png
[/IMG]

Upvote 0
Didn't know where else to post this.

Hello. Just got a new Note and was wondering if the tip of the S Pen is supposed to look like it was pushed too far inwards? Have a look and let me know if yours looks the same. Thanks. BH

spen.png
[/IMG]

I have a solution! Just download "touchscreentune" (note version). Set portrait orientation x:0 y:100. It costs 5$, but finally s-pen works as it should have.

Upvote 0
Yep, mine looks just like yours.

As does mine.

I think it's probably designed to expose the tip as little as possible to avoid unnecessary damage. It does wear!

I attribute the S pen's lag to the CPU/GPU not entirely being up to the task and the relative sensitivity dulling by the screen glass. That would account for the SGN2 having a quadcore CPU and the 20% thinner Gorilla Glass 2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones