• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S Pen Motion Controls

Rob

Galaxy S20 Ultra
News Moderator
Administrator
  • Mar 26, 2008
    androidforums.com
    Samsung just announced that they're opening up S-Pen motion controls to 3rd party developers. That means popular apps and games could integrate interesting types of S Pen functionality. They gave some including YouTube which will let you adjust volume among other things without ever touching the screen.

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 4.22.34 PM.png

Pretty cool... but I wonder how many big apps/games will leverage the new SDK for S Pen Motion Controls. Very cool but not a must-have IMO.

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 4.22.18 PM.png

Reactions: ocnbrze
    my only issue is if the developers add support for the s pen, how much battery time will i have with the pen? so i'm not sure i would like an s pen supported game or not.

Question, how does the S pen charge? Is it a stand alone charge device or does is pull it's charge from the phone. Never owning a Note, I'm completely ignorant about them. How are they secured in the device? Is manipulating the Note's screen and such by gesturing with the pen new or an older feature?
    If if is something common on older Notes, how well do the gestures work? I guess I'm asking for a rundown on the pen... sorry. I need to know lots more about the pen before I'm convinced I need it. Thanks

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    Question, how does the S pen charge? Is it a stand alone charge device or does is pull it's charge from the phone. Never owning a Note, I'm completely ignorant about them. How are they secured in the device? Is manipulating the Note's screen and such by gesturing with the pen new or an older feature?
    If if is something common on older Notes, how well do the gestures work? I guess I'm asking for a rundown on the pen... sorry. I need to know lots more about the pen before I'm convinced I need it. Thanks
    it charges when it is in its cradle inside the phone. no need to worry about hooking it up or anything. as long as it is in the phone you are good to go.

it would be cool if the devs can make the s pen like a steering wheel so that we can play Need For SPeed or other car racing games.

or just in general....i'm interested what the devs will come up with the use of the gyroscope for the pen and how it reacts with their apps.

sorry forgot to mention about the s pen on the older devices. i like the note 8's feature where upon pulling thew s pen from its cradle right on the lockscreen a window pops up where you can immediately take notes. in the past you have to unlock first, pull the pen out, a menu pops up and you select notes and then you begin writing......too many steps for something immediate. i like the fact that they kept this feature in the note 10/10+

the s pen now with my note 8......does not have a battery so i do not have to worry about such things. it just sits nice and comfortable in its cradle in the phone. it is secured in its cradle. it is spring loaded so all you need to do is push on the pen and it will pop out.....not fly out pop just pops up and then you canj pull the pen out for use. when done you just put the pen inside the cradle and push it in to secure it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones