1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root ?'s re: CWM, Theme Flasher, TB, and more

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dchamilton, Sep 2, 2011.

1. dchamilton

dchamilton Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Currently, I have Simple Green 2.(2?) on my phone using the Theme Flasher method. I am also using Titanium Backup Pro.

I haven't seen any talk of which method of installing the themes is better. What are the pro's and con's to CWM? What is Odin? Does Odin replace Titanium Backup? I'm still new to all this stuff, so if CWM is recommended, then I want to focus on using it.

Also, with Titanium Backup I know how to restore all the individual apps, but I am wanting to know the easiest way to restore things. When updating the themes I wipe all the data, update the theme, log into gmail, install TB Pro, log into a couple of my email accounts, and restore individual apps that I like. Is there a way to just restore everything, including the signing into email accounts?

Advertisement

2. benwalburn

benwalburn Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Computer Repair
    Odin is used to restore your rom if something goes badly, it also flashes CWM and Hroark's test rom. Odin flashes your phone all the way back to factory. It does not replace titanium/CWM/etc

CWM has no cons, it is a very important recovery for anyone with root. This replaces your stock recovery (stock only allows factory reset). CWM allows factory reset, zip flashing, and most importantly, the ability to back up your entire system.

I haven't used it, but I've heard that you can use titanium to make an update zip that can be flashed in CWM to restore apps. There is also batch restore in titanium. As for your google account, I doubt it's possible, and if it is, then it isn't worth the effort of just signing in like normal.

As for theme flashing methods, CWM is THE way to go. All themes will be made in this format and everything is done from the phone. Reboot into recovery, select "install from zip" (or something similar), choose from sd card, navigate to your zip theme, select, install, and reboot. No computer necessary.