1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support S-Voice won't dial contact

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by joncohen3d, Jan 5, 2013.

1. joncohen3d

joncohen3d Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2013
    Male
    I can't get s-voice to dial a contact. It happens whether I am using the phone mic or bluetooth. The voice recognition is working great, but it will not dial without either touching the screen or speaking the entire phone number.

I start s-voice and say "call Joe Smith". S-voice finds Joe Smith in my contacts. It brings up a Window showing Joe Smith's home and mobile numbers and says "which number would you like to call?" When I reply it displays my reply on the screen perfectly. Then it repeats the question and displays the options again. I have tried everything I can think of, such as "call home", "call mobile", etc. If I say "call 555-555-5555" it will actually dial. Or I can tap on the correct option and it will dial.

Can anyone else out there get it to dial a contact by voice?

Advertisement

2. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    It works for me. If I have more than 1 number for the contact I specify which number. Ex: call mom mobile.
    For contacts with what s-voice thinks is an odd name, I give the contact a nickname and tell s-voice to call the nickname.

joncohen3d likes this.
  3. joncohen3d

joncohen3d Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2013
    Male
    I've tried a few more things now. First, I was wrong about being able to touch the selections to trigger dialing -- that does nothing.

I added a new contact with only one number, and that was dialed successfully. Then I added a second number to that contact, and it also worked as expected. I could say "Dial brownie mobile" and it actually dialed.

One difference I noticed is that the selection options for my original "Joe Smith" said "Home 1" and "Mobile 2" whereas my new contact comes up with "Home" and "Mobile". As far as I can tell so far, the contacts appear the same in the contact application. So the problem may come from importing the original contacts to gmail from a .csv file exported from my previous Android phone (they had been phone contacts instead of Google contacts). There must be some hidden difference in the field names internally.

4. joncohen3d

joncohen3d Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2013
    Male
    I also noticed that HOME and MOBILE were capitalized in the contact entry (and s-voice). When I changed the phone number category in the contract entry, it would not change in s-voice (tried to change to work and main in the contact, but they still appeared as HOME 1 and MOBILE 1 in svoice). So I deleted the numbers from the contact entirely using the minus button and re-inserted the numbers. Now voice dialing works correctly for that contact. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to manually edit any contacts I wish to voice dial.