• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

s/w update on a rooted S2 - advice needed please

uktivo

Jan 17, 2011
Hi All.

I've been enjoying my rooted S2 now for many months. But as the new s/w is out now, I would like to update the phone. Advice needed please:

Current config:
Android 2.3.3
Baseband XKE4
Build number XWKE7

I have Titanium backup on the phone..

Using the above information, what are the up to date build numbers I should be looking at?

Questions:
1. Can someone point me to the correct downloads please to update the phone?
2. If I flash with odin the latest s/w, will I lose root?
3. If yes to number 2. What about my programs / settings etc. for example. I have Titanium backup freezing some of the installed stock apps. I would really like to get back to this configuration with as little effort as possible.
4. Can someone detail the procedure to update please?
5. When I last rooted I ended up with the yellow triangle on start up. Some kind member advised how to rid this and it worked a treat.. but I can't find that post anymore.. so if someone could advise this also, that would be great.

Any help very greatly accepted..

1. go here [ROM + Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KF1/2/3/4/, KG1/2/3/5/6/7, KH1/3 Download - xda-developers

need either KG5 (OXA Poland) or KH3 (not the stock kernel files)

2. yes

3. have flahsed/rooted several times and only lost settings/apps once. so probably won't happen, but may do. as long as you've backed up in titanium, you can restore these settings

4. download the above file, click on it to extract, start odin, add file in PDA, flash

5. to reroot go here [17.08.2011][CF-Root v4.1] KE2/7/8, KF1/2/3/4, KG1/2/3/5/6/7, KH1/3 - su+bb+CWM4 - xda-developers, find the corresponding insecure kernal to your new firmware on post 5 (ie either KG5 or KH3), and flash this with odin like you did to update. to remove the yellow triangle, the instructions are quite clear on post 2 of this link - best following these to the letter

Reactions: uktivo
Upvote 0
I have to admit to being a little confused over the amount of codes the XDA forum shows. It really is a minefield.

Just to go over my current set up again. All I really want to do is update the phone and retain root afterwards. I have:

Android 2.3.3
Baseband XKE4
Build number XWKE7
Kernel XWKDD

I am a little confused which to flash and what does what.. (it happens at my age... )

Is there a layman's guide (flashing for dummies sounds good) that I could read up on first, before hitting the XDA forum and looking a bit of a dork....

Upvote 0
you will loose root when you flash your firmware update.

to update to KG5 (2.3.4):

1. download http://www.multiupload.com/W5EX7FO1YY
2. double click to extract the file
3. open odin
4. click on pda
5. add extracted file
6. shutdown phone
7. restart in download mode (vol down + home + power)
8. connect USB
9. wait for yellow box in ID:COM
10. press start
11. firmware will load and phone reboots.

to reroot:
1. download http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=681719&d=1312825851
2. follow same instructions as above

instructions to remove yellow triangle (optional)
see post 2 for instructions here [17.08.2011][CF-Root v4.1] KE2/7/8, KF1/2/3/4, KG1/2/3/5/6/7, KH1/3 - su+bb+CWM4 - xda-developers

EDIT: sorry, this doesn;t really answer your question! when i first started doing this I went searching for a similar "guide for dummies" - never found anything like this, but keep reading and trying bits and pieces for yourself, you'll soon pick it up.

Reactions: uktivo
Upvote 0

3. open odin
4. click on pda
5. add extracted file
6. shutdown phone
8. connect USB
10. press start

to reroot:
1. download http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=681719&d=1312825851

see post 2 for instructions here [17.08.2011][CF-Root v4.1] KE2/7/8, KF1/2/3/4, KG1/2/3/5/6/7, KH1/3 - su+bb+CWM4 - xda-developers

EDIT: sorry, this doesn;t really answer your question! when i first started doing this I went searching for a similar "guide for dummies" - never found anything like this, but keep reading and trying bits and pieces for yourself, you'll soon pick it up.

Big thanks from an older user.....

Upvote 0

3. open odin
4. click on pda
5. add extracted file
6. shutdown phone
8. connect USB
10. press start

to reroot:

This worked very well.. Still don't understand how to remove the yellow triangle.. as I said in an earlier post.. I have done it before but I think it was more luck than judgement.

Thanks again for your clear and concise help..

Upvote 0
vulture - to update to 2.3.4:

1. download Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
3. open odin
4. click on pda
5. add extracted file
6. shutdown phone
8. connect USB
10. press start

uktivo - you basically download the secure KG5 kernel from the same place you got the KG5 (poland) file - it's the one below it. you also have to extract the insecure KG5 file you used to root the phone - this will give you zzImage file - you basically connect you phone to PC vis USB and save this to your phones /sd card.
then flash the secure KG5 kernel as you would flash an update via odin. when the phone reboots, go into CWM app, select flash kernel, the phone will find your zzImage file. flash this, you will reboot into rooted KG5 with no yellow triangle

Reactions: VulturePenguin
Upvote 0
vulture - to update to 2.3.4:

1. download Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
3. open odin
4. click on pda
5. add extracted file
6. shutdown phone
8. connect USB
10. press start

Cheers mate, it worked a treat. I know how to do a firmware update via odin it was just that I had no clue what firmware I needed to use. Thanks for the help! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones