1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support S2 A few things really bugging me.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by carter15, Jun 25, 2011.

1. carter15

carter15 Lurker
    None

Nov 12, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I've had my Galaxy S2 for a few weeks now, love it and it's so much better than my old Desire HD.
    There are a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers to, and I've looked across various forums.

1. Is there a way to make the incoming call contact picture bigger? Default picture size is very small and quality on screen is poor, regardless of the size/quality of the original image file. I know that there is an app called Full screen caller id, but I would like to avoid it if possible. HTC sense gives a much nicer incoming call notification.

2. Samsung stock photo frame widget - regardless of the size and quality of the selected picture, on screen it looks very poor. Even pictures taken with a pro DSLR, resized or original size, on screen appear to be low resolution and not sharp at all. It doesn't look anything like the on screen photo in S2 ads.
    In the gallery however these same pictures look great. Am I missing something?

3. Stock Samsung weather widget - most of the time it fails to auto update using data connection. Also if I click on the update button in the lower right corner of the widget it always says "connection failed". If I tap on the widget (i.e. open the app) and then select update it updates as it should. On top of that the shortest auto refresh interval is 3 hours, so most of the time I have to update manually.
    Is there a way to fix this as I really like the look of this widget?

4. Stock browser - It makes the newly opened tabs active. Is there a way to avoid that?

Thanks for any help on these issues.

Advertisement

2. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Android Expert

Jun 24, 2011
    Security
    Southampton UK
    Thing that bugged me at first was MMS. Pictures messages arrived in a kind of slide format and appeared compressed. I don't know how much that is down to the sending unit of course.

3. loony

loony Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    australia
    i miss my scrolling wallpaper. the "picture fame" just isn't the same but i can live without it.

4. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Android Expert

Jun 24, 2011
    Security
    Southampton UK

This scrolling wallpaper? Is this not what I see on my S2?

5. carter15

carter15 Lurker
    None

Nov 12, 2010
    Regarding q1 and the quality of the contact pictures, I forgot to add that I know that Google compresses contact pictures heavily by default, but on DHD you could choose a photo for the contact from the gallery and it would stay looking nice and in high resolution, and it would appear larger on the screen during an incoming call.

6. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    In settings in the browser you can choose for new tabs to open in the background.

7. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Android Expert

Jun 24, 2011
    Security
    Southampton UK

Yeah I think the contact pictures in my list are ported from the facebook app so compression kicks in.

8. carter15

carter15 Lurker
    None

Nov 12, 2010
    Thanks, found it. I've gone through the settings a few times before, but didn't see it.

9. loony

loony Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    australia
    ...as in, on my old nokia5800 the "background" wallpaper changed, not the widget window you an set on one off the windows to cycle through pics.

i like to change my actual wallpaper which has to be done manually. the widget does well...but only if your on that particular page.

10. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Android Expert

Jun 24, 2011
    Security
    Southampton UK

Not seen that admittedly but I do seem to remember the 5800 had a terrible unresponsive touch interface.

11. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

i'd love answers to 1 and 3 too! but my contact pics are from facebook so i dont think i can do anything else. the non-fb contacts, i used google to upload individual pics, n although the size is small, at least the quality is ok

the weather widget is definitely the best-looking free weather widget, n its annoying that it doestn auto update every 3 hours.. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt update even over night.. and i have auto/background sync, wifi on. at least mine refreshes when i tap the icon.. buti find it annoyingly hard to tap that little refresh icon anyway, so i end up opening the app to update

12. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Don't know about 3, but I'd suggest just getting Beautiful Widgets to be honest, paid app but worth it I think. For 1 I think there must be an alternate dialler that could do that... Will see what I can find...

13. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    On nokias, each homescreen has it's own seperate wallpaper you can set.
    What you can do on the S2 though is set 1 landscape wallpaper and scroll across it as you switch homescreens, I like this, makes it feel more tablet-like.

14. loony

loony Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    australia
    yeah.....i have a naked chick lying down (no rudie bits to keep the missus happy) and as i scroll i get to see MORE! lol

15. iynCognito

iynCognito Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    Manchester, UK

You can't get a separate wallpaper for each home screen afaik . However you can get your wallpaper to switch at set intervals or everyone you receive a call by using an app called Wallpaper Rotator. I think it is free and there is also a widget for it.

loony likes this.
  16. loony

loony Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    australia
    i thought there would be an app out there, just hasnt been at the top of the "priorty" list lol....cheers thou. :)

17. jaybird16

jaybird16 Newbie
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    I just got a new Galaxy S2 T989. I know the total screen resolution is 480px x 800px. So, I made some wallpapers that were 800px high and 1200px wide, and that was fine because the phone lets me decide how to crop the sides down so that it is the right aspect ratio.

And that worked. Sort of.

You see, the problem is, even though the total screen resolution is 480px x 800px, there is the little bar across the top that shows applications, battery level, the time, etc., and that means the actual wallpaper display size is something LESS that 800px. Maybe about 20 pixels less. So, what happens is the phone takes that image that is 800 pixels high, and displays it across only, say, maybe 780 pixels, because of that top bar. I think this is the reason why my wallpapers don't look crisp and sharp, but kind of blurry instead.

So the total height of the screen resolution is not the same as the displayed height of the wallpaper image.

How many pixels does that bar take up? What I need to know is the actual finished display height of the wallpaper.

Is this published anywhere? Does anybody know?

18. Marrr

Marrr Newbie
    None

Jul 16, 2011
    Working out the height of the notification area is easy to do: just take a screen shot and load the resulting image into Photoshop and crop the area. You'll then have the exact dimensions.

19. Marrr

Marrr Newbie
    None

Jul 16, 2011
    Forgot to add, take a screen grab by holding down the 'home' button and tapping the power button.

20. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    I thought that the notification bar overlays the wallpaper? Iirc the stock GS2 wallpapers are 960x800; I use that res for my own custom images and they don't appear 'squashed'. Just to check.... you are expanding the crop box fully i.e. to the full height of the image?