• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S2 e burn in/image retention occurs

max77

Lurker
Oct 31, 2011
Lazio, Italy
Dear friends first of all compliments for this splendid forum. Here Massimo from Italy. I have a problem with my Galaxy S2.
My Galaxy S2 shows clear burn-in images.
Practically when i lauch the browser, on the Google white page (or others white pages) i noticed, at the bottom, the "shadows" of menu bar icons!!!! And they are permanent.

Now i would know if anyone have the same problem.
Best regards.
Massimo.

Hi Massimo ,

I just inspected mine carefully and I don't have any burn in images at all.
I've only had this phone for a month though. If you can't exchange for a new one, I would lower my screen brightness as low as you can and use it in landscape mode as much as possible for a while and see if the burn in images dissipate. Lowering the brightness I believe will help quite a bit to prevent future burn in. Good luck.
GG.

Upvote 0
Hi Massimo ,

I just inspected mine carefully and I don't have any burn in images at all.
I've only had this phone for a month though. If you can't exchange for a new one, I would lower my screen brightness as low as you can and use it in landscape mode as much as possible for a while and see if the burn in images dissipate. Lowering the brightness I believe will help quite a bit to prevent future burn in. Good luck.
GG.

Thanks for the reply GG.
Really you are right...i bought my GS2 4 months ago and i set always brightness to maximum (cause i work in the sunlight). But now i will lower the brightness.
Do you think that there are any chance that burn in images dissipates?

Upvote 0
I don't really know if they will go away, I hope they do. Amoled screens are known to have burn in issues but I personally think it happens more to people who always have brightness settings set very high . I also have a Galaxy S since over a year ago with no burn in. I always take a habit of having auto brightness on or keeping screen brightness at a max of 50% or lower (unless in direct sunlight). Let us know if the burn in goes away gradually.

Edit* you can download a flashlight app in the market like flashlight from infopic mobile and set your brightness to the highest and turn on the flashlight app for a while. That may help if its only some kind of image retention you have.

Reactions: max77
Upvote 0
Thanks CC.
However for now it's not a big deal, i can notice the burn in images only on totally white pages. I hope to recover it o, at least, limit the damage for the future.

Best regards.
Massimo.

ps.: Searching on Google i discovered this:
"you can Normally FIX bun in with a monotone gray or snow screen settings which recalibrate pixel intensity levels uniformly - thus eliminating any image retention (ghosting)". Mmmm

Upvote 0
I once left my phone plugged into the MHL adapter after I had watched a movie. I turned the screen off when I went to sleep but I got a notification during the night which lit the screen (MHL adapter keeps screen lit till you turn it off manually). So the screen had been on all night on the same lockscreen image.
When I turned the screen off it was glowing still and my phone would not respond. I did a battery pull and rebooted the phone and to my amazement the screen was fine, no burn in or anything :)

Upvote 0
I once left my phone plugged into the MHL adapter after I had watched a movie. I turned the screen off when I went to sleep but I got a notification during the night which lit the screen (MHL adapter keeps screen lit till you turn it off manually). So the screen had been on all night on the same lockscreen image.
When I turned the screen off it was glowing still and my phone would not respond. I did a battery pull and rebooted the phone and to my amazement the screen was fine, no burn in or anything :)

Thanks for you report steslatt :)
But your device don't occurs in a typical burn in image problem. I always used it at maximum brightness (in the sunlight) for many following weeks and so i think that i got the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones