1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support S2 e burn in/image retention occurs

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by max77, Oct 31, 2011.

1. max77

max77 Lurker
    None

Oct 31, 2011
    software engineer
    Lazio, Italy
    Dear friends first of all compliments for this splendid forum. Here Massimo from Italy. I have a problem with my Galaxy S2.
    My Galaxy S2 shows clear burn-in images.
    Practically when i lauch the browser, on the Google white page (or others white pages) i noticed, at the bottom, the "shadows" of menu bar icons!!!! And they are permanent.

Now i would know if anyone have the same problem.
    Best regards.
    Massimo.

Advertisement

2. GG1

GG1 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Hi Massimo ,

I just inspected mine carefully and I don't have any burn in images at all.
    I've only had this phone for a month though. If you can't exchange for a new one, I would lower my screen brightness as low as you can and use it in landscape mode as much as possible for a while and see if the burn in images dissipate. Lowering the brightness I believe will help quite a bit to prevent future burn in. Good luck.
    GG.

3. max77

max77 Lurker
    None

Oct 31, 2011
    software engineer
    Lazio, Italy
    Thanks for the reply GG.
    Really you are right...i bought my GS2 4 months ago and i set always brightness to maximum (cause i work in the sunlight). But now i will lower the brightness.
    Do you think that there are any chance that burn in images dissipates?

4. GG1

GG1 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    I don't really know if they will go away, I hope they do. Amoled screens are known to have burn in issues but I personally think it happens more to people who always have brightness settings set very high . I also have a Galaxy S since over a year ago with no burn in. I always take a habit of having auto brightness on or keeping screen brightness at a max of 50% or lower (unless in direct sunlight). Let us know if the burn in goes away gradually.

Edit* you can download a flashlight app in the market like flashlight from infopic mobile and set your brightness to the highest and turn on the flashlight app for a while. That may help if its only some kind of image retention you have.

max77 likes this.
  5. max77

max77 Lurker
    None

Oct 31, 2011
    software engineer
    Lazio, Italy
    Thanks CC.
    However for now it's not a big deal, i can notice the burn in images only on totally white pages. I hope to recover it o, at least, limit the damage for the future.

Best regards.
    Massimo.

ps.: Searching on Google i discovered this:
    "you can Normally FIX bun in with a monotone gray or snow screen settings which recalibrate pixel intensity levels uniformly - thus eliminating any image retention (ghosting)". Mmmm

6. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    I once left my phone plugged into the MHL adapter after I had watched a movie. I turned the screen off when I went to sleep but I got a notification during the night which lit the screen (MHL adapter keeps screen lit till you turn it off manually). So the screen had been on all night on the same lockscreen image.
    When I turned the screen off it was glowing still and my phone would not respond. I did a battery pull and rebooted the phone and to my amazement the screen was fine, no burn in or anything :)

7. max77

max77 Lurker
    None

Oct 31, 2011
    software engineer
    Lazio, Italy
    Thanks for you report steslatt :)
    But your device don't occurs in a typical burn in image problem. I always used it at maximum brightness (in the sunlight) for many following weeks and so i think that i got the problem.

8. max77

max77 Lurker
    None

Oct 31, 2011
    software engineer
    Lazio, Italy
    UPDATE: i tried many tips but there are nothing to do for restore my display. Image retentios is permanent. I can only limits the damage lowering the brightness.