1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support S2 headphone output cancelling

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tlovegrove, Jan 20, 2014.

1. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Lurker
    None

Jan 20, 2014
    Hi folks, my wife's Galaxy S2 has developed a strange problem. It appears that the headphone output is summing to mono, which is cancelling stuff and making music sound very strange. I've replaced the headphone jack unit (as per the ifixit guide) but the behaviour is still there, which makes me think it's a problem with the main board.

Anyone had a similar problem? We've done all the usual troubleshooting with different headphones (with 3 and 4 contact jacks) to no avail, tried different media players etc.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    You're going to need a dual-trace oscilloscope to watch the 2 channels (with the jack disconnected) and see if they're the same. If they are you're going to have to go back to where the jack is connected to the motherboard (with the wires disconnected) and do the same check. If you're getting mono from the motherboard, either live with it or replace the motherboard. If it's in the wiring oor the jack, replace/rewire.

tlovegrove likes this.
  3. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Lurker
    None

Jan 20, 2014
    Thanks Rukbat, I think my wife won't be happy living with it because she uses the phone as a media player constantly. I'll look into testing it out and replacing the main board, although I suspect it might not be very cost effective.