• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S2 ICS - some odd behaviours

Hi, I have a rooted S2 recently upgraded to ICS.

I've noticed the follow odd behaviours and I was wondering if anyone else has and can recommend fixes:
1) Random reboots. Out of no where, it will just reboot, happens once, maybe twice a day. It's an annoyance more than anything else, but I am unable to identify anything that's causing it, however it does seem to almost always happen at night, between 6:30pm and 9:00pm...
2) Wifi - I might be using WiFi at home then suddenly it will switch back to the 3G network and when I pull down the notification bar, the WiFi icon is semi-greyed out, that is, the wifi bars are a feint green, the Wifi text is grey and the button is not responsive. If I go into the settings menu, the wifi button there is greyed out. The only way to resolve is reboot.
3) Won't switch on - maybe once or twice a day I will press the home key as I usually do to switch on the device and nothing happens. I press other keys, hold keys - nothing. The only way to resolve is to remove the battery and it comes back fine. I have a battery widget installed so I check the historical battery graph and note that prior to removing the battery, the battery charge decline is almost a straight down line rather than a normal sloped discharge, so I'm suspecting whatever is preventing the phone from coming on is also killing the battery. But I have no way of knowing what

They are my main issues, hoping someone can help please.

Pete

Thanks Russell, so is that using the factory reset function in the settings menu or another way?

Also, I use Titanium backup, are you suggesting that I do a factory reset, I assume I have to reinstall the stock ICS again from Kies, then root, then reinstall Titanium, then restore from the last backup?

Sorry for the stupid question, I just want to make sure I've got the process right

Pete

Upvote 0
I've also had occasional reboots so went down the route of factory reset & cache wipe and still get the occasional reboot.

I'm also getting SOD's, usually during the evening and can only get it working again by removing the battery, then last night it somehow went completely flat with something keeping it awake, probably more a problem with my pocket than the phone!

I'm running the CPW ICS update which was updated via Odin but is recognised by Kies.

Upvote 0
Thanks Russell, so is that using the factory reset function in the settings menu or another way?

Also, I use Titanium backup, are you suggesting that I do a factory reset, I assume I have to reinstall the stock ICS again from Kies, then root, then reinstall Titanium, then restore from the last backup?

Sorry for the stupid question, I just want to make sure I've got the process right

Pete

If you know how to root, meaning you are a better expert than me. Why don't you just flash the ICS that you want via ODIN and forget bout Kies? But about the Titanium, you got it right. Have to back up and restore. Pressing Power+Home+Vol Up will bring you to a menu where you can wipe and reset.

Cheers

Reactions: piannetta
Upvote 0
I've also had occasional reboots so went down the route of factory reset & cache wipe and still get the occasional reboot.

I'm also getting SOD's, usually during the evening and can only get it working again by removing the battery, then last night it somehow went completely flat with something keeping it awake, probably more a problem with my pocket than the phone!

I'm running the CPW ICS update which was updated via Odin but is recognised by Kies.

What version of ICS are you running? LP9 had SOD issues caused by the kernel.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones