1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General S2 now or wait for S3?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by croftyboy8, Apr 29, 2011.

1. croftyboy8

croftyboy8 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 30, 2009
    Hey,

A year ago I had a Galaxy i7500 (remember that!) on a 12 month contract. I managed to get that replaced with a GalaxyS due to the bluetooth issue.

Anyhoo, Ive had the GS for only 4 months now and my contract is due for renewal and i have the following options which i hope you guys can help me with..

1. A new S2 on an 18 month contract for free and recycle my GS (currently

Advertisement

2. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    I'd move like the wind and upgrade that shit. Would think the S3 is at least another half year off so if you're completely content with waiting that long then maybe just keep the S but even then you never know when the phone will be released. Could be earlier and could be in 2012. The S2 just looks amazing and the specs are at the top of the market right now.

3. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    A free S2 for only 18 months? I'd jump on that. There's no guarantee when the S3 will be out, but I'm fairly certain it won't be in 2011.

4. Quboid

Quboid Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 30, 2009
    Male
    Londonderry, UK
    There is talk of the SGS3 this autumn but I don't believe it. I think this is based on a report that Samsung will be releasing a big phone, but I suspect that'll be the SGS2 32GB. Unless you need the extra space, I'd upgrade now.

Of course, if a dual core 2Ghz 64GB qHD SGS3 is released in September, I'll be jealous.

5. AndroidifyMe

AndroidifyMe Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Student
    Hybla Valley, Va
    You would be missing out if you wait for another year. This one just came out and no how things may change when the S3 comes. That is out of sight now. It's to silly to think of that right now. Sammy might be thinking of it and have it in the works but their the manufacturers so yea..

6. croftyboy8

croftyboy8 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 30, 2009
    cheers guys,
    Im never normally the guy who waits as i truly believe if you always wait for the next new thing then youll never have it!

i had never even seen any press about an s3 until today so ill stick to my plan...

..S2 tomorrow!!

7. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Android Expert
    None

May 13, 2010
    video editor
    Charlotte, NC
    yeah man, one upgrade a year, i don't care when a sequel releases. between June-July is usually when i get a new handset, depending on the release of something i'm waiting on. so even if the SGS3 came out at the end of the year, i wouldn't upgrade again until next year around the same time.

i think that time frame is the best to upgrade because Apple's iPhone still seems to dictate when other manufacturers release high spec'd handsets, which is usually before theirs (Apple). after that, you have minor upgrades to internal hardware mostly for new handsets by the same manufacturer. ie, HTC devices.

8. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    Sammy might release mid term refresh of SGSII in Q3 around the time of iPhone5 launch. But we won't hear anything official about SGSIII until by December if at all. I would get on SGSII in summer if I were you.

9. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    I'm wondering if the SIII will launch next year around the time of the olympics (and coincide with their other olympic/NFC promo phones [not known which model will be given to athletes], and the NFC chip will be on board next time.

I'm thinking maybe Samsung are testing the water with this microSD NFC system?
    I don't think people would want to have to sub out their music/video/data filled microSD everytime they want to put the NFC one in to pay for something, but we'll see what happens.

10. chocobosandwich

None

Jul 6, 2010
    The only reason why people are talking about the SGS3 is because Eldar from mobile-review.com mentioned some other superphone he is smitten with and people automatically assumed it was from Samsung. Samsung has already spent a lot of R&D on this one phone. They aren't gonna relegate to some six month cycle and then abandon it. It also needs time to release in 120 countries, which could take months. They even have SGS4 rumors going around, and I roll my eyes and skip along.

Quboid likes this.
  11. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    Imo they should retire the Galaxy name and come up with something else? Nebula? lol
    I wish I worked/was high up in the design/production/engineering dept of a phone company, I would be the John DeLorean of the cellphone industry (before he left GM).

12. hahaha what

hahaha what Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 12, 2010
    what if the s4 is on the horizon when youre about to get the s3 then you'll never have a good phone

13. Quboid

Quboid Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 30, 2009
    Male
    Londonderry, UK
    Gearu, trademark Nebula fast!!

The SGS2 is only just out. It's not even out, arguably, and as the delicous sounding chocobosandwich says, future phones are only speculation. There's always something cool on the horizon, if you always wait you'll never get anything. Why get an SGS4 when you could get a Nokia Morph?

Nokia Morph

14. jree

jree Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    keepin up with the jones'
    at your house when your not there

What if you tell me who is in your avatar b/c she is really cute.

And yeah, waiting for the next best thing is gonna cause you to be stuck with your current phone forever. I think(hope) that the s2 will keep me content for a long time b/c I waited for the g2x and that thing just isn't sexy at all

15. Aatos.1

Aatos.1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    West Coast USA
    Like Nike says, Just Do It!

The S3, could be a long wait.

I've been a smartphone enthusiast for some time and know the histories of most of these manufacturers quite well. Samsung is not one to release a major upgrade to an existing fresh model like the S2, in a matter of months.

Their upgrade cycles are based on an annual matrix, plus or minus about 30 days.